IFS/solid axle conversion rumor........ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

IFS/solid axle conversion rumor........

Hey guys. I was just on the phone with James of ORD, man what a bunch of good guys. I was ordering their shackle flip kit for my Blazer (yes, they make one for 88+ trucks too), and he mentioned something to me that I think you guys will like. He said that they are currently planning on making a solid axle swap kit for Chevy/GMC fullsize IFS trucks. They were going to start working on it this month, but then the donor truck fell through. Said not to expect much before next Easter, but still, this is good news! I mentioned ORU, and he agreed that their prices were rather high. I would really prefer to buy this stuff from ORD than ORU, so I may wait a while. Less show truck and more beef! I also know that Hill Offroad is currently developing a kit too. Have heard there are others out there, but no definate leads. Hope this brightens some of your days, it certainly helped mine a little. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 05:07 PM
Drew K1500

Re: IFS/solid axle conversion rumor........

Hey AJM. This kit has been around for about 6 months now from ORU and they are asking almost $800 for some simple brackets. No springs no nothing. The local shop built me some brackets that I designed that are probably 10X stronger than the ORU kit for $150 including the material. This kit may be a bolt on but that is the only advantage it has. Sorry to burst your bubble but I dont believe that kit is worth a crap. It has to be better than the ORU kit. At least Ive never taken a $800 crap. Anyhow, Do you know how much ORD is going to be asking for their brackets and what is included?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 07:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Andy-

I know Hill 4wd is working on one. As far as ORD, if they did one, that would be very bueno. I still think you could go to a welding shop, show them what you want, and get it all for 200 bucks. I might be a lil on the shy side $$$ wise, but I would study the spring brackets from the 73-87's, maybe grind some off a old wrecked truck if you can. Steering shouldn't be much more difficult than getting parts, and maybe a couple u joints. I think the kicker of the whole thing is the transfer case and the front axle. I would go to a better tcase, and go with a chevy front. The exhaust you can tuck up to clear the shaft. I saw a truck at Glamis that was basically a 73-87 driveline, with fuel injection and the late model body. Just my .02

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Drew, I wouldn't even think of giving ORU any of my fundage, those guys are a bunch of show-no-go driving conceited jerks. James says they haven't even started yet, so he couldn't really give me a price yet. Just that it would be a good bit less than the ORU kit. I think if he plated it in gold it would be less than ORU's kit.

Rhino, I've talked to All Terrain Motorsports down in Chula Vista, who seem like a good bunch of guys by the way, and they have a mechanic who has actually done several IFS-to-solid axle conversions. Unfortunately, he is on vacation, so I have to wait a few weeks to talk to him. When he gets back, I'm going down there and they are going to take a look at it, take some measurements, etc. See what he has done before, and recommends. I will keep your fabrication shop suggestion in my head. Any suggestions who? James at ORD said to talk to him about their crossover steering. He said he would give me a list of parts to look for to make it happen, and then just a few of their parts would be necessary. I like a shop that recommends their stuff AFTER the bone yard and the local parts stores. I like the 241's low gearing, really good going down hills. I am going to do a short shaft conversion on it one day anyways. I'm not worried about it being aluminum, I've never heard of one breaking unless it was used in rockcrawling and got whacked by a rock. Since the Ford D44 + Chevy knuckles is a bolt on, I will just do that. On the exhaust, I am planning on getting some duals built for it. Just have to find a place that will do it because my truck isn't registered in CA.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode