Diesel swap? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 03:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Diesel swap?

Have any of you swapped a diesel into your solid axle truck or Blazer? What type of problems or hitches did you run into?

Anybody know of a project page where somebody is/has/was doing this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Diesel swap?

Mass i have been looking for about the same thing but not much luck, i personally think a Diesel swap is a pretty good idea gobs of torque and pretty good economy, but i havent heard anything good about the 6.2L or 6.5L gm Diesels, they use them in hummers but ive been told once the original injector pump goes no one has been able to find anyone to make it run right. but a cummings would be a good idea, they have a few decent sizes and plenty of power ranges

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 12:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a 6.2L In my 83 GMC K-2500 3/4 ton, And it does Aight, But I want to drive somthin with a 6.5TD to see how much of a diff there is in power....

"Wastin Away Here In Margaritaville"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 11:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

the 6.2 is not so bad but i have driven and i have heard bad stories about the 6.5, i drove one that my company sent to the dealerdhip after some dumb employee put gas in it thinking it was a gas motor (idiot) but after it came back it came back it drove alright but if you pushed it with a small load on it it would try to over heat, like if i had 3000lb on it and trying to do better that 65 on the highway i would have to slow down to let it cool off, but then i know a few people tat were in the same situation when the only had 30K and the injecter pump went out?? Now i could understand if they had 300K and it went out but 30K isnt crap for mileage, so if your going to swap beware or just stick to your 6.2, thier are a few performance upgrades for it you just got to look and its cheeper than a 6.5 swap,

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 09:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hve been looking into the 6.2 but i found one for sale its a K5 Blazer with a 700th and a 6.2L diesel they only want $2999 for it it has 103K for a diesel thats nothing it looked clean, i was wondering it for myself maybe??? I would have to do something with my land Cruiser

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 10:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did the opposite, I had a siezed up 6.2 diesel in my '82 chevy, and we got a 305 and put it in there. There was no problem bolting it in there. I got the truck and the 305 for free, too.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 12:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What happen to your motor??? but it sounds in the end you got a good deal, my parents have a K5 with a main bairing knoking(SP) and i have found a Military M1009 with lockers and 32in Dunlops on it but he wants $4500, kinda steep, i just dont like gas motors no more

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the 6.2 and 6.5 are esentialy the same motor... infact in the early years when they were changing from the 6.2 to the 6.5 they even shared the same block and head casting #s.. the reason people had so many problems with the 6.5 turbo motors is that gm put to small of a heat sink on alot of the electronics under the hood and they fryed alot, i know alot of people that converted them over to the old ( db2 ) injection pump and picked up alot of power... as far as the overheating problem.. it is probably due to a crack in the head between the intake port and the watter jacket.. it was a rare problem.. ( mostly due to people puting gas, or kero into the tank instead of diesel. as far as performance my blazer weighed in a little over 7k lbs , and ran the quarter a little over 16 sec... it also managed high 20's for mpg unloaded, or 17-19 w/ a 5k lb trailor behind it..
the factory power rateings were low when compaired to a power stroke or new cummings.. but thy will make power if tweeked.... infact the record holding diesel powered drag truck is powered by a tweeked 6.2...

WARNING: DRIVER HAS ATLEAST $50 WORTH OF AMUNITION!

-83 'yoda (soon to have a 4.3v6) 5.29, dual arb's, dual stock tcase, wagoneer springs, 35" sx's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode