3/4 ton springs for 1/2 ton - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 10:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

3/4 ton springs for 1/2 ton

I have a 97 GMC Z71 and would like a higher spring rate for the rear (slide in camper). It does not have a lift and I don't think it will (not for a while anyway).

My friend has some of those hellwig type overload springs and I wasnt to impressed, and dont want to fool with air bags either.

Can I get some 3/4 ton rear springs from a junk yard to fit? Are the eye lengths the same, same width and will the fit the stock axle. If so, what years are interchangeable? Also, I am confused. I thought that 1/2 tons typically had a 10 or 12 bolt rear and 3/4 tons had the 14 bolt. I just counted the diff cover bolts on mine and there were 14 of em (axles have 6 lugs not 8). Whats up??? Did GM change this?

As always, any help, comments, or suggestions will be appreciated.

FC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 3/4 ton springs for 1/2 ton

There are two different types of the 14 bolt, you have the 14 bolt SF (Semi-Floater) rearend the other type is the 14 bolt FF (Full-Floating). Most half tons do have 10 bolts but 12 bolts havent been put in trucks since the 80's im pretty sure. Gm did put the 14 bolt SF axle like you have in the "Heavy Half Tons". The axle you have also comes in 3/4 ton trucks wiht 8 lugs.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]<font color=blue>"Your driveway doesn't count as Off-Road"</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 12:12 PM

The 3/4 ton springs will fit

90K5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 12:32 PM
Mud in my Veins

Congrats, you've got one of the rarer Z71's with a 14 bolt SF rear axle from the factory. I just bought one, and am going to have it put in my truck. You get to skip that step, and you don't have a puny 10 bolt in the rear.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode