465 OR 400 tranny ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 08:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

465 OR 400 tranny ?

465 with hydrolic clutch or turbo 400 auto., whats the differance, which is better, which is tougher?

MIKE.S 84GMC,454
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 08:54 PM

Re: 465 OR 400 tranny ?

Personally I think the manuals are way tougher. It really depends on what you like to do with it though. Mud bogging, go with the auto for sure. Rockcrawling, definately go with the manual.

I have a 465 and I love it on the rocks and on tight trails, but hate it when I'm in the sand and the guys with Autos waste me in races because you have to do a 2 count or so between gears (shift into neutral, 1, 2, shift into 2nd) so the synchros will mesh. It's definately a truck tranny, not meant for a dragracer.

I need to install a hand throttle so I don't have to contort my legs in order to push all three pedals at once if I need stop and start again when I'm going up, or need to reverse down, a real steep hill. The 6.55 first gear rocks.

I find myself wishing for an Auto sometimes, then I remind myself that I have a crawl ratio of about 55:1, in order to have that with an Auto I would need both an ORD doubler AND a lower gear ratio in the axles.

Anyways, you'll probably be happy with either, but if you do mainly one type of wheeling, one may be a better choice than the other.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 11:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Even though I think manuals are better, I am considering an auto for whatever my next off road vehicle is. Reasons, I did my first mud bog last Summer, and it was a blast, auto is definatly the way to go there, I could have used more wheelspeed, but I knew I would lose more than gain if I tried to shift. Sand, same senario. Rocks, That is what I enjoy, but autos do have some benifits, then again so do manuals. Deep snow, That is the most commen in Montana, it seem like Manuals have a pretty good edge over autos, as long as the manuals have at least 70:1 gearing, but Autos might have an advantage when you need momentom. All of the guys that have been wheeling deep snow for a few year use manuals, but there are a lot of guys just starting that have autos, and I feel once they get a feel for the snow, and lose the throttle jocky mentality, They will run rings around us manual tranny guys. I am still trying to decide, but these are my observastions.

Thanks, Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 06:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Like everyone has said, it's application dependant. I perfer to have the control, but do see some of the advantages of having an auto. Here in Maine, we get a lot of snow and ICE driving practice. An auto is just plain scary on ice, there is no control. Manuals have more control, and put more power to the wheels. I wouldn't have anything but.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode