Smog Legal Engine - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Smog Legal Engine

Ok, I want to either rebuild or replace my 350 TBI in my 1995 Chevy Truck. This is a Cali. truck. What is a good high output 350 or 383 engine that is smog legal to swap in? Don't care too much about using stock computer. If new engine is the route then I will probably use Holleys Pro-Flow fuel injection or Edelbrocks fuel injection. Or, if you think a rebuild is a better way: I was thinking of Edelbrock performer package but I am looking for 400 hp. I don't want to spend more than 2000 to 2500. Just remember: Smog Legal in Cali. I was looking at GM crate engines but none are smog legal.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 11:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Smog Legal Engine

This is my plan in one year (after I graduate from college).

1. Build a stroker. 33 cubes is nice for horsepower.
2. Use the Edelbrock multiport conversion manifold.
3. Install a relatively radical CompuCam.
4. Use aluminum heads: Edelbrock and TrickFlow make smog legal heads.
5. Smog legal headers like Mesa, JB, of the such.
6. Custom computer chip from Fastchip to take advantage of the new add-ins.

I will keep the computer control since it allows for ideal AFR, no matter altitude, air density, temperature.

As you can see, I haven't worked out any specific details since I won't have money for a while, but this is the general path I plan on following.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

how can I figure out if all my components when assembled will be Cali. smog legal? Is your truck a TBI? I was origionally planning on edelbrock performer package which is: heads, cam, headers, cat-back, and the Multi-Point injection system. What hp will this produce? I was wanting to use stock block. Maybe replace pistons but I don't want to replace the bottom end. Anyone know of a good high output replacement engine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 01:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just put the whole Edelbrock kit (less the Cat back I already had a flowmaster)on my '95 K1500. I don't know the HP it is putting out now but I can tell you it made a huge difference. Even undergeared with 38's I gained a lot of power. In fact, I embarrassed an F150 tonight on my way home from work. Thats what you get for buying a [email protected]**. Anyway I can tell you right know it is not a cheap road to go down but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Kris '95 K1500

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks man, that is the info I was looking for. Did you use the multi point injection or the new intake manifold?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 09:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Buy a Summit catalog and look through it. All of the things I listed previously are 50-state legal. That includes Cal. You can't forget the catalytic converter on the exhaust. It will have to be a single cat in the stock position because that is the letter of the law, but a three inch exhaust with a highflow cat, y-pipe, muffler, and mandrel bends should be able to keep up with your motor.

Yes my truck is TBI.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I have a Summit catalog, thats where I got all the info. on the edelbrock stuff. But, if I install all the edelbrock stuff, and later I add a 50 state legal supercharger, will the edelbrock and the supercharger combined still be smog legal or is it just one or the other? Also, what is a good Cat. for my truck? It's a 3" 2-way right? My truck has no air-injection.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 11:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used the Multi Port injection. There was a string on here a couple of weeks ago about running a supercharger w/ the Edelbrock kit. Somebody said it was a one or the other type deal. You should try a search and see if it comes up.

Kris '95 K1500

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

I know about the post. It was mine. I was just wondering if I get both the supercharger and the multi-point w/performer system and get a custom FastChip made that will make both systems work properly together and be smog legal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode