A few engine questions - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 09:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: A few engine questions

Here is a little story to let you know my experience with PAW. I have had good dealings with them before until.....
Well I got a 383 long block kit from them and it had problems right off the bat. The crank they sent me had been drilled so badly that it broke in less than 200 miles(unfortunately, I did not notice it until after taking it back out). I sent the crank back and after many phone conversations they finally sent my a new one. Guess who got to pay for shipping. Guess who got to take many days off of work to pull it since they would not pay a shop for labor. I shortened the story by about 5 chapters but I am sure you get the idea. If I had to do it all over again I would get a crate engine from chevy(they did not offer the 383 when I did this). Another problem is getting the computer to jive with the engine. Yes I have had several custom chips made and tried new TBI units with greater CFM. Don't get me wrong, the engine kicks ass now and I have tons of power and torque but I would have saved a lot of heartache if only they had that crate when I did this. Not sure about dealings with chevy and crates but will never work with PAW again.
Just one mans opinion. Sounds like you are doing your homework though. Good luck!

go heavy or go home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 07:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?act...id=120&pid=465
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
dave

post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I saw that at Scroggin. But I'd just like to build my own for some weird reason...call me strange. Plus I think I can do the whole thing, engine, nos, rebuild for under $3000. Btw, I used to live out in lubbock and go out there all the time. Picking that stuff up would be no prob, but...I can get a set of vortec heads for around $200 (new), a rebuild kit with the stuff I want, and pick all my own parts. Have some laying around anyways. Then build the engine I've been having these dreams about myself...

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
LakeTex
Durant, OK
'79 Blazer almost running! ----need a money tree----
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 10:13 AM
Pooh-Bah

If you got the cash I'd go with alum heads. The OEM 400 are the same type and quality as the 350 heads, just a different casting #. I had a set off a 350 and a 400, the # were different, but they were from the same exact mold. All the casting flaws and marks everywhere were exactly the same, just the # was different. Chevy made a bunch of different heads, only one or two were factory on the 400. They flow well, but are open chamber 76cc. As a general rule look for closed chamber 64cc heads. I have a book I got from Summit racing that says what # head was offered on what motor, it's a big help at the junkyard. Plus there is a book on "How to modify Chevrolet heads" by David Vizard, Amazon.com carries that one. They also have "Camshafts & Valvetrains" and "Blocks, cranks, pistons, rods". These are super helpful books. They also give a list of head & block casting #'s to use and stay away from. These books are a gold mine of info.

As for the SR heads, they are supposed to flow as good as the old OEM Hi-Po, but I think the Vortec is better. I have Air Flow Research alum heads and I wouldn't trade them for anything. Except for some overhead cam 4 valve heads, Oh sorry, I was daydreaming.
I would think of the block, crank, and heads as seperate componants. Pick the ones you want the most and put them together.

P.S. I'd stay away from PAW if I were you. Summit and Speedway are where I do my business.

Chevota
post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 06:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Count me in, I'll buy 3 pair of Vortec heads at $200 for a pair. Or was that $200 each head?
dave

post #16 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

go with the 400!don't beleive all the myths about this motor over heating. i've got one in my 69 chevy4x4 and its the balls! its a lunati 408,i bought it 6 years ago and have absolutly beat it,but all the inturnals were bought through lunati,and was balanced by them too. rate now its "mild" produces about 365 h.p. and 425 lbs torque. lunati cam 218 dur at .050. ,454 inch lift ,110 lobe seperation,and installed at 106*.used dished pistons(recomended,because the big bore tends to detonate more) 5.565 rod(i should have used 5.7) 461 chevy heads(64cc) this motor has just a tad too much compression and i have to run super ALL the time. and to top it off a stealth intake,i wouldn't recomend this intake unless your cam has at least 230 dur. at .050",i had a wiend 8004 which was better,it just seemed to pull harder with the little cam i have in her now. i would deffinately build another one,i would just do it differently.
the vortect heads are awsome BUT they will produce ALOT of compression on a 400,you may be to get away with it OR may not.i haven't gone this route yet because of this reason.if iron heads are going to be put on this motor go with 70-74cc,aluminum 64-72cc. i would recomend a roller cam also but they are pricy.they don't wear out and come on to the power band harder and stronger than a flat tappet cam.
with my mild motor 1st gear is useless(tire spin) 2nd she'll rost'em for about 2-3 telephone polls!i've also have the tires start spinning at 70 mph while i was passing a car once(the bump in the road got them spinning)this is no lie,and it wasn't to fun when your not exspecting it. rate now the truck has a heavy 4 speed top loader(cast iron)and i don't count or use low(1st).i'm rebuilding and installing a turbo 350 in her in a couple of weeks,i'm tired of shifting.
use 1 3/4 headers or she wont breath to well above 4500 RPMs,this is on my list of upgrades for next summer(rate now i have 1 5/8). GO WITH THE 400!!!!!!!!

motor head
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode