body lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 08:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

body lift

Hi, i have a 1990 chevy k1500 z71, it is a regular cab shortbed. I am allready running a 2.5 in. skyjacker with 33x12.50 bfg all terrain ko's. They are on 15x10 eagle 589's. I want to get a 2 in body lift so that the tires clear while off-roading and such. Do you think that after putting the body lift if i turn the torsion bars down(they are close to max now)will it ride better? also i know i need an alignment but will this help my front tires from sitting slanted like this / \? and finially i put a body lift on a friends 98 z71 and it came with brackets for the front bumper all for like 80 or 90$ , but the fourwheel drive store tells me that for my year model they are an extra 50$, any one know why? or if i could order the lift for a 98 or so and put it on mine to save the money?
THanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 10:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: body lift

well number one, yes you should turn down your bars after you install the lift so it will ride much better. another, it will change your alignment slightly, but you should still get an alignment (after you adjust the bars). third, get a Trailmaster body lift, it includes the brackets for teh front bumper. you can get em from Summit for around $120. they have everything except rear bumper lift brackets. i have one on my 89. if you have anymore questions just ask me.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Mike ~
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the info. I work at firestone so i can align it for free thats no big deal. I will go for the trailmaster then, do they make a 2 in. or just a 3? Also i know it will be good for the frontend to turn down the bars, but will it ride better?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 01:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just turned my bars down about two months ago. It rides MUCH better!

Kris '95 K1500

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 09:37 AM

Yes, turning them down will make it ride better[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
For the body lift, I think "Performance accessories" http://www.performanceaccessories.com is better than "Trail master" because,
The "Trail master" does cost around $120 with the front bumper brackets, but the "Performance" is $65 for the kit, and $44 for the front bumper bracket($110) so right there you have already saved $10 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
And with "Performance" you can also buy the rear bumper bracket for $37 and you can buy the gap guard for $60 (I don't believe TM even offers these).
Also Trailmaster only makes a 3" lift, Performance makes both the 2" and 3" lifts.
So my point is "Performance" has a more complete offering of products, 1-800 tech support, and better prices! (all the prices I quoted were from "Summit" also).
IMHO I think that a 2" looks much better than a 3", because it still hides the body mounts from the side of the truck, with the 3" you can see them.

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 02:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok scooby is right. i keep forgetting trailmaster only makes 3" and i just knew performance accessories didnt come with bumper brackets, but they arent that expensive. i checked the summit website this morning and found the same info. as far as the gap guards, other companies offer them you dont have to buy from that same manufacturer as the lift, but i have a much cheaper solution. everyone else has heard me talk about this and i finally had time between my projects to scan a pic and post it on my website. i used cut pieces from a bed mat and they look good. if you click on my truck below it will take you to my website, click on MY TRUCK PAGE then the MORE PICS link towards teh bottom. any more q's let me know

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Mike ~
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 03:00 PM

Or if you don't happen to have a spare bed mat lying around, I know a guy that used black rubber/plastic lawn edging from Wally world (Wal-Mart) worked pretty good!
The only thing is the gapgaurds you buy are sorta pre-formed, kinda molded I believe.

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 03:16 PM
Drew K1500

Why do your tires slant in/out? You need to have your upper a arms brackets slotted to fix this.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 08:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Drew can you further explain the slotting of the a-arm brakets. I am afriad that about $600 or so of tires is going to go down the drian if i don't do something about it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode