steering corrections - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

steering corrections

I ordered a 3" Tuff County lift today and was wondering what I need to get to fix the steering geometry on my truck?

90K5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 11:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: steering corrections

I would think a 2" dropped pitman arm is all that you'd need

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 12:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Or a raised steering arm.

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 08:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Either of those will work, if you are going to seriously trial ride the rig though, you might as well bite the bullet and do the crossover steering now.

Depdog

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 09:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

With only 3" lift the crossover steering is not necessary and will probably create as many problems as it solves, such as interference/binding on the crossmember and possibly the leaf spring. Talk to Stephen Watson at Off-Road Design before you take that route. Also a raised steering arm typically comes in only a 4" or 5" rise. Using one will cause extreme bumpsteer problems. Stay with a 2" dropped pitman arm as was suggested. If you can find a 2" or 3" raised arm, then yes do it, they are better.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 11:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Crossover steering was one of the best things that I've done to my Blazer. Granted, there are more steps involved in doing this but it eliminates bump steer, increases turning radius, and allows you to steer with either side at full droop. Just giving the pros.

Raised steering arms usually come in 4" and I don't see how this will cause extreme bumpsteer problems compared to a 2" drag link. If you really want to to match the lift get the 3" steering block from Superlift part # 3434. IMO- Either of the 3 methods will work fine. Get prices on both and get the less expensive one.

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 11:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steering brace from ORD. Man what a difference even on the street! Well worth the $90. Going to put one on the wifes 79 K5 Grocerie runner it made such an improvement on my lifted 75.

Grim-Reaper
http://www.grimsk5s.coloradok5.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 12:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shawn, my point was that with a small lift (4" or less), you should not get ANY bumpsteer. A steering arm or any correction that raises the position of the rear ball joint on the draglink to a point that is equal to or higher than the pitman arm joint will cause bumpsteer. Its basic geometry and physics - I can go into more detail if you want. Raised arms are supposed to come in 4", however, the Black Diamond arms are 5" and will result in bumpsteer on a 4" or less lifted truck. He needs 3" max. So ideally a 3" dropped pitman arm, but a 2" draglink or a spacer would work well too. Just some info we've gathered over the years from building various trucks.

Turning radius is only slightly compromised at less than 4" of lift. With 6", yes, crossover for sure. As for steering with full droop, this occurs only during 4wheeling, and with a small lift, the droop is much less than with a higher 6" or more lift - so the effect is significantly less. And if the front sway bar is still connected, the effect will be negligible. I like the idea of crossover steering, just depends on what he intends to do with his truck.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 05:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You'll still get bump steer even with a 2.5" lift. My old 79 is proof of that. Keep in mind the dropped draglink is around $180. So depending on his budget he might want keep it simple and get the 3" block for $64 which will put his steering exactly where he needs to be. BTW- Warn no longer makes suspension parts so I imagine that includes the 5" steering arm. I agree, it's all what you want to do with in the end that counts.

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 06:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Shawn, you're right. You really shouldn't get bumpsteer though. Maybe just a slight hint of it. Nothing more than 1/16 turn of the steering wheel. Otherwise something is wrong. Of five trucks that we have, all with 4" Rancho lifts, only one now has bumpsteer, and only a very slight case of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode