Questions about repainting my peeling 1990 suburb - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Questions about repainting my peeling 1990 suburb

I'm in the process of scraping off the peeling paint on my 1990 suburban. Why did all these peel like this? What is the problem? The primer underneath is intact, do I need to go down to bare metal? Only the roof is affected, the sides are great, can I avoid taking the good paint off before repainting. What prep work should I do to the primer on the roof? I heard that GM recalled these for this problem, I assume this is too old for any help from GM. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 06:22 PM

Re: Questions about repainting my peeling 1990 suburb

I cant help you, but I know our '85 Sub pealed pretty bad on the hood near the wipers and on the roof....

<font color=blue>
I eat chunks of dead cow.
Carnivore Man

[email protected]
</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 06:55 PM

The paint was reformulated in the late 80s and caused the peeling. You should really rmove all of the paint before repainting it, since the whole vehicle is affected by the problem. The roof and hood usually peels first simply because it is more exposed to the elements. You should be fine if you leave the factory primer on it, but you'll want to use another coat of sealing primer over the top to make sure the new paint sticks well.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 07:59 PM

I'm pretty sure in 90 and 91 or sometime around then, they started using a new kind of primer, and they it made the paint peel. They recalled them, and were painting them for for about 5 years.

90K5
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 08:00 PM

I had a 1992 pickup for a while and the paint starting flying off in sheets while going down the freeway and in about 1997 I took it to the dealership and there was a recall on it and they repainted it the correct way for free.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 09:16 AM

Has anyone gotten a GM dealer to repaint their's lately, mine is doing the same thing![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] 1990

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 08:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try going to the dealer. From what I have heard GM isn't repainting any more but it doesn't hurt to try. My dads 90 S-10 was peeling. We took it to a paint shop and we were told about the paint problem and he said that the truck had to be striped to the bare metal because the primer was bad. this was back in 96 so good luck with what you decide to do.

<font color=red>'99 Silverado</font color=red> <font color=blue>'79 Blazer</font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Post deleted by ARD

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 03:30 PM

Ya.. you COULD do all that ARD just said.. or you could just go to Walmart and buy a bunch of your favorite color spray paint and paint it with that.... but if you want that extra thick coat, buy some house paint and brush it on.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>
I eat chunks of dead cow.
Carnivore Man

[email protected]
</font color=blue>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 05:22 PM

Hey-I know a family that had a ramcharger and painted it with house paint! It was light blue but they wanted to make it awesome and painted it red. It was rusting all over and they just painted over it. They let the kids help who were like 4 and 6 and they painted the windows and tires too.

90K5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode