oil pressure up and down - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2000, 09:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

oil pressure up and down

Have 88 GMC 4x4 owned since new, now has 150,000 miles. Oil pressure sometimes 45lbs cold-30lbs hot. Other times 25lbs cold- 5-0lbs hot ! Gauge alert comes on at idle.
Whats going on? This has been happening for 2 months. Changed oil, filter, still no change. Could it be the sending unit? Not sure where it is, unpluged the one by the distributor...no change, aparantly that's not it!?
Anyone have a problem like this before? Would appreciate all responses.
Thank you, Roger B.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2000, 10:50 PM
Drew K1500

Re: oil pressure up and down

These trucks have some problems with the gauges. My gauge is never consistent. I replaced my oil pump with a high flow and also the Oil sending unit. It didnt do to much. I was told not to worry about it but then again my light never came on either. Try a heavier weight oil next time. I have seen folks put full synthetics in their 150,000 mile engines and wonder why their pressure was so low. I dont know what oil your running but this might help.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 02:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have about the opposite problem. mine is always high, but kinda bounces around. i too have been told this is a common problem for our trucks. mine was real low like yours and i had the light coming on so i replaced the sender (underneath, drivers side near exhaust manifold - it looks cone shaped) and after i replaced it now it reads high (45-60) but it runs fine so i dont worry. btw - ive got 160k on an 89

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Mike ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 03:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input, will get a sending unit tommorow.
Yes, I did put synthetic in and pressure dropped 20lbs.
Have since went back to conventional oil. Anyway, will see
after the sending unit, also will hook-up mechanical gauge tonight to get actual reading.
Roger B.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 09:27 PM
FWP

Good idea. Never rely on factory instrumentation to tell you the truth. A good old mechanical gage is the best insurance as proof of what's going on. I don't know how many times you hear the same story- my factory gage says this, but it's really something else. Happy troubleshooting.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK Guys, good news, 32lbs idle- 50lbs for high... Taken with a mechanical gauge... Sending unit was bad, wire was burned from sending unit up 2 inches.
Thanks for the help, don't have to pull motor this year anyway!!
Roger B.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode