Ford front D44 + Chevy D44 spindles = ????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2000, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Ford front D44 + Chevy D44 spindles = ?????

Okay, if you read my earlier post, the IFS is finally on my last nerves. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I'm determined to get rid of it now. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Damn thing just isn't up to how I 'wheel (and I don't think I even rag on it that hard), and it just was never ment to be lifted. So it's time to start getting in to this Dana 44 swap. I need to find a D44 from a late 70's Ford truck, and make it the Chevy 6 lug pattern. I've been told that this is pretty much an off/on swap, but I dunno. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] The guy who told me this said that you just put everything from the spindles out of a Chevy 6 lug D44 onto the Ford D44 housing and tubes. Is this true? I hope so, I want to make it as parts store basic as possible. Meaning my non-mechanical @ss can buy any part for it at the local NAPA, AutoZone, Kragen, who ever. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] What would I need to do this? My plan is to eventually upgrade it with ORD shafts when I have more money and am going up to the 35's and 6" lift. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Until then the stock shafts should be good. Also, anyone got a clue on how the steering should be hooked up on this? I'd like crossover steering, but since I am only going to do this 3" lift now, then later the 6", as long as the 3" steering works, I don't care to much. Anyone know what the best year Ford D44 is to use, and what Chevy D44 spindles/etc will fit right? Thanks.
I know this is kinda confusing and jumbled, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 07:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Ford front D44 + Chevy D44 spindles = ?????

Some of the early year Dana 44s have a smaller inner bearing. My neighbor has a 69 Bronco and was telling me about a D44 swap and mentioned the spindles and backing plates. There were a few other details involved but I can't remember them all right now. I'll see if I can talk to him and see if he can tell me.

Later.

"Dude, if you turn down the next dirt road we can save 15 minutes." What my best friend said just before the EARTH swallowed my truck. WHOLE.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 08:58 AM
kona_joe

I saw an article a while back about a 88 & up Chevy pickup converted to a straight axle using a f*rd dana 44 front end. There were certain years that had different widths that worked with Chevy framerails and spring hanger alignment. Let me dig through my old back issues and i can scan and post it for you.

KJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 05:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have done some looking into this. I was going to put a Dana44 under my IFS Ford, so I needed a solid. I found one from a 76 F-250 but it was a drum brake, closed knuckle 44. Since I wanted disks and open knuckles, I was told that the knuckles and everything out from a Chevy would work. I ended up using a 44 from a 79 and didn't have to make any changes, but I did find that the rotors and everything fit on the Ford spindle. I think if you found a 44 from a 73-79 F-250 (leaf sprung) and knuckles-out from a 73-78 Chevy 44, you shouldn't have any problems.

Chris
[email protected]
http://www.mountaineers4x4.org/mercer
Proud enough to stack hay, and crazy enough to eat it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 08:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

this swamp will work even though the ford has the pumpkin on the drivers side and the chevy t-case drops on the passangers??

MUDD_RAT: 1978 Chevy K-10 with dana 44 front, 12 bolt rear 350/350/203 running 15/39/15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2000, 08:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mudd_Rat, the t-case front drive shaft is on the drivers side on '88 and up Chevy's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 06:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i am only familiar with the old chevys. good to know.

MUDD_RAT: 1978 Chevy K-10 with dana 44 front, 12 bolt rear 350/350/203 running 15/39/15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Kona, if you could find those, or even just tell me the issue and magazine, I'd greatly appreciate it man.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2000, 09:43 PM
kona_joe

Sorry, been busy trying to get my truck finished. It was in the March & April 97 issues of Four Wheeler. They used a F*rd dana 60 front axle but perhaps the information can relate to the dana 44 version.

KJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode