Dana80? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2000, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Dana80?

How would this axle be for the rear of a Truck Puller? Most guys are running 14bol FF's but I hear the D80 is stronger. Just a couple questions about the axle though...How wide are the? What bolt pattern do they have? What kind of gear ratio's can you put in them? Lockers or spools? And what kind of weight would it weigh?

And last but not least....Are they really that much better than a 14-bolt FF???

Thanks...Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2000, 03:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dana80?

I believe you are talking about the Dana 80 "hybrid" axle that is found in the newer Dodge trucks with the Cummins engine. I think these have an 11.5" ring gear vs. the 10.5" ring gear of the ff 14 bolt, but the axle tubes, shafts, and hubs are basically Dana 70 stuff adapted to the Dana 80 centersection. The bolt pattern on these is the standard 8 on 6.5" pattern.

6.2Blazer
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2000, 03:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dana80?

A dana 80 is stronger. It sports over an 11 inch ring and huge axle tubes. The downfall is the price. Once you get one a detroit locker runs from $550 to $625. Ring and pinions cost an insane $400 to $700 plus an install kit is another $200. I like the availability of parts of the 14 FF plus it's a direct bolt in for my Blazer. I'm not sure about disk brakes for a 80 either. You would also have to move the spring pads on the 80. If you do go with an 80 get the one with 37 spline axle shafts. If most guys are using the 14 on their pullers and haven't broke anything, then I'd stick with the 14 FF.

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode