california beadlockers? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

california beadlockers?

Ok, I figured out I am going to run the 15x42x16.5 inch TSL's and I am going to mount them on 8 lug 16.5x9.75 Mickey Classic II 8 luggers. I am looking for a company preferably located in Cali. that modifies alluminum rims for beadlocks.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 01:50 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: california beadlockers?

There is a place in So CA, El Centro I think. It's called Champion wheel. They have a web site too. Do a search on it. I think they are $125 per lock, plus the install price.

Chevota
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 02:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I haven't seen a company yet that will do 16.5" rims. If you do find a company let me know. If you don't have any luck, there's always Tire-loc for the 16.5" rim but it's a little pricey ($800).

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 02:43 PM
Can't Get Enough

Shawn, I am considering going with 17" wheels. I see bogger is going to make a set and I understand the safety bead is there for the rim 90* vs 16.5 45* or so side bead.. Whatcha think???seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Detroits,etc..
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I saw the new 17" sizes. IMHO- I'd much rather have a 16" size if they made the desired tire in that size. They usually have the bead locks for the 16" size and I doubt they make any for the 17" yet. For mud, it makes more sense to have a smaller rim since less mud will get in the center. I keep hearing they will make more 16" sizes but have yet to see the size I want: 38x15.5x16 If you already have a 17" rim like on the Ford and Dodges, then it makes sense to get the 17" Boggers. Be aware of the pro/cons on the Boggers before you buy them.

Anyone else have an opinion on the 17" rims?

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 08:49 PM
Can't Get Enough

Shawn, I understand where you are coming from on the 17".The only reason I would consider the 17" is for the clearance of my new front Dana 60 brake calipers. I think 16.5" are out 'cause of the safety bead (or lack of), and 16" may be in order with a beadlock and a little grinding. I am a Ground Hawg dude and really want Denman to get their act together and get out of the disco era!!!Any more input is appreciated...Thanks, Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Detroits,etc..
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm sure the 16" rims will clear the front Dana 60 with no problems. A friend of mine has 16x10 8 lug Alum. rims that we are going to try on my front Dana 60 just to make sure. I think all tires companies should just stop producing the 16.5 and make the 16" only. I'd still like to know why any wheel company can't just incorporate a bead lip on their 16.5 rims.

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

I am planning on 16.5's for my 15x42x16.5 TSL's. I am going to get beadlocks installed on the rims (MT Classic II 16.5 x9.75). Will this solve the bead problem? If not, does SS make a TSL in 16"?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 12:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did you find a company to do this? I'm willing to bet you can't find anyone to add bead locks on a 16.5 rim. The bead locks might help on the outside of the tire but what about the inside? Soon as you air down the 16.5 tire, you'll loose a bead on the inside. Another thing to consider is your local laws. In most states, bead locks are illegal. Plus I heard (not positve) that you can't balance a bead lock rim. So far, I have never lost a tire on my 16.5's but I have only aired down to 20 psi unlike a 15" or 16" which can run at 10psi with no problems. There's no 16" sizes in that size YET. If you're not planning on airing down, then just stick with the 16.5's.

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 02:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Please let me know when you find a company that makes a 16.5 beadlock rim-I could never one and went ahead a bought the "TireLoc" bead lock system. I like these but they are not without some drawbacks. They are street legal and lock both inside and outside beads but you better make sure the inside of your tires are smooth on the side wall, or you'll get tiny holes in the innertubes. I have some stock 16.5 rims and they have a hell of a safety bead but they are a little narrow for 15-19.5 wide tires-I do use one for my 44 spare and I can't hardy get it off the rim.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode