How well will a Dana 44 last with 36" tires? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

How well will a Dana 44 last with 36\" tires?

My '76 Sub has a Dana 44 in front and a 12 bolt in the rear.... I intend on getting 36" TSL-SX's... how well will the front and rear hold up? I'm still gett'n learned about this stuff, and am not really sure how far I can push it... I wont be doin any rock crawl'n or nuthin.. just play'n in the mud.. =)

<font color=blue>
I eat chunks of dead cow.
Carnivore Man

[email protected]
</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 01:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How well will a Dana 44 last with 36\" tires?

I don't see a problem with it lasting. you should be fine as far as the D44 goes. But the 12 bolt is number 10 of 11 of the strongest and weakest axles. 1 being strongest, 11 being weakest. here is the list as published in 4 Wheel & Off-Road:
Strongest ---> weakest
1 Dana 80
2 Dana 70
3 Ford 10.25
4 GM 14-Bolt
5 Dana 60
6 GM light duty 9.5 inch 14 bolt
7 Ford 9 inch
8 Dana 44
9 Ford 8.8
10 GM 12-bolt
11 GM 10-bolt
remember now, that 1=strongest and it works its way down to weakest. I can't believea GM 10.5 inch 14 bolt is stronger than a 1 ton Dana 60

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 02:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

on the other hand, Glenn Viveiros(sp?) has a Blazr w/ a 12 bolt rear and 35's.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 02:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Look,
it may not be as strong as a Dana 2million,
But a 12 bolt is still definitely a strong axle.. strong enough for people with amateur drag racing applications to use them for like 500 horsepower...
Unless the bearings are shot,, or it sags or something,,, it should be absolutely fine.

atroader 82cj7 5"susp 258 T5 D300
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 03:09 PM

Don't believe everything you read, Bowtie. I have a 44 front and 12 bolt rear. With 38" swampers, I've broken the front end 3 times, and haven't had any problems with the rear end that can be attributed to it merely being a "weak" axle. General consensus is a 12b and 44 are good for up to 36-37" tires, any bigger and you're really running the ragged edge of durability. My next tires will be 36s.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 03:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

doesn't a front end have to put up with more? front end weight, turning, isn't there more stopping power on the front? or is it the rear? whereas the rear does put up with constant turning, and stopping, but not as much stress on it. As far as tire sizes, I am going wih dual Dana 60s with 4.88s when i get my lift and tires in.
for now I run a 10.5 inch Corporate 14 bolt rear and a Dana 44 front.
keep in mind i am not sure about the axle characteristics front and rear, i would like to know though

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the replies guys... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>
I eat chunks of dead cow.
Carnivore Man

[email protected]
</font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 04:10 PM

Keep your 14 bolt, it is stronger than a 60. The only benefit of a 60 over a 14b is slightly better ground clearance. The front end does see stress due to the factors you said, but the rear sees more stress from power, since under acceleration weight shifts to the rear, putting more stress on the rear end.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 04:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i'm not worried about groud clearance, I am building this rig to be strong and reliable. Since I will be running 38-40s I need strength. So should i go with just a Dana 60 front? and leave my rear?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 04:49 PM

That's what I'd do. Lockers are cheaper for the 14 bolt too. At least the Detroit is. 14 bolts are actually about on par with a Dana 70 in strength.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode