Stock stereo questions: - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2000, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stock stereo questions:

Hi. I have a 98 C1500, and was wondering if there are preamp outputs on the stock stereo. I am going to install an amp and some sub-woofers. I prefer to use the preamp outputs over the speaker outputs, but I don't want to take off the panel for the dashboard only to find out there are no preamp outputs. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2000, 02:44 PM

Re: Stock stereo questions:

Hey, my kind of question since I own a mobile audio store. Anyway, sorry no. You would have to a get a line out converter (LOC). Radio Shack has them. and hook it to your speaker outputs on back of deck. Scosche sales a harness that plugs inline with factory harness and has a plug to plug scosche LOC right into it so you don't have to cut factory wiring.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2000, 02:50 PM

Also, I don't know if you know how to remove the dash trim bezel but incase you don't here goes: There is a trim ring that runs all the way around instrument cluster and radio and ac vents and cup holder. It just pulls off no screws. Once you have it unsnapped make sure to remove all the harnesses from switches mounted to it. Then, on each side of the radio you will see little tabs sticking out and just push them down and pull the radio out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2000, 03:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey i have a question for you. In my 73 chevy shortbed 4x4 i am planning on running 1 6x9 in each door, 2 8 inch subs behind the seat, and two more 6x9s behind the seat. here is some more info:
head unit: Sony Xplod ES 50w x 4 3 sets of 4 volt preamps
all the 6x9s are:Sony Xplod 3 ways with a peak power handling of 230 watts and a recommended power range of 2-60 watss RMS
the 8 inch subs are: Rockford Fosgate 8's handles 20-100 watts RMS200 watts peak.
my question: what size amp should i run? a 2 or 4 channel? how many watts? is a Rockford Fosgate Punch gonna handle all these speakers? I want the stereo ta handle the doors and tweeters, and the amp to handle the rear. thanks

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2000, 09:14 PM

I would run a 75x4 at 4 ohm amp. Assuming that your 6x9's are 4 ohm. Also, are your subs 8 ohms or 4 ohms. Assuming that they are 8 I would hook your 6x9's to two channels of the amp and bridge the 3 and 4 channels together to power your subs wired in parallel. If they are 4 ohms each then you will have a 2 ohm load to at your amp which could burn it up if it can't handle a 2 ohm load bridged. With a 75x4 you will have approx. 75 watts at each 6x9 and approx. 150 at your subs if they are 8 ohms each.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode