Just bought '95 Tahoe w/ 6.5L Turbo-Diesel - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2000, 01:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just bought \'95 Tahoe w/ 6.5L Turbo-Diesel

Hi everyone, I just bought a '95 Chevy Tahoe 2-door with the 6.5 Turbo-Diesel engine. The truck shows 150,000 miles on the odometer. My last four trucks have been full-size Chevy 4x4 1/2 tons and they have all been great trucks (an '88 step-side, a '90 step-side, a '95 extended cab and most recently a '98 extended cab). All of these have had the 5.7L gas motors, and the '98 had the vortec 5.7L.

Now I own a diesel and it's my first one. What are some of the quirks about a diesel that I should know about? Keep in mind that I live in an area where -30 degrees is common in the winter. One thing that I've found hard getting used to is the noise in the morning when I first start it. It almost sounds like I've thrown a rod.

Also, what kind of gas-mileage should I expect? So far I've recorded 15mpg city and 19mpg highway. I expected better.

Finally, does anyone have the torque and horsepower ratings for this motor?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2000, 05:01 PM
Old Hand

Re: Just bought \'95 Tahoe w/ 6.5L Turbo-Diesel

I think the hp and torque ratings are 180 and 365. Not 100% sure, but they are a little lower that the diesel's in the 3/4 and 1 ton's. Should be pretty good off road, has the shortest wheelbase of any fullsize, and good low end torque. What gears does it have, 15 mpg is pretty good for in town, I thought it would be a little higher on the highway. Hope this helps.

John
Red 89 Ranger 4x4
Pop's Tan 85 F-150 "Tanbuddy"
Pop's 97 Chevy 2500 H.D.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2000, 05:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Tanbuddy. I'm not sure what the axle ratios are. I'll have to bring the serial # to my local Chevy dealership and get them to look it up for me. Regarding the truck's off-road capabilities, I'm anxiously waiting for the the first big snowstorm of the season. I don't intend on off-roading this truck. I actually bought this truck to tow my off-roader, a built-up Samurai. This will be the first winter for both trucks. The first day the snow flies should be a fun one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 12:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why would you want a Tahoe with a diesel engine. You should have the engine heater. Mine did the coldest temp I had to deal with was -15F I always had it plugged in. So damn loud in the early mourning when starting pissed the neighbors off. Great engine when it ran. 3 turbo's, 1 injection system, and 103,000 miles the rod broke. Called my mechanic and asked whats up and response "oh it happens alot around that mileage on those engines you can drive it in dont go over 55mph" comforting I tell ya. Replaced the motor and sold it @125,000 miles. The current owner has had no problems since and that was over two years ago. It was a 93 GMC HD3/4 ton 4X4

Good luck

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 03:25 AM

Since this truck is new to you and you likely don't know it's maintenance history, it might be a good idea to pull the rear differential cover and have a look at the inside of the differential... That'll also give you the chance to refill it with a good quality synthetic lube which seem to work great when it gets cold since they flow a lot better cold than the dinosaur juice... While you have the diffy cover off, check out the ring gear it should have a ratio stamped in it, such as 41:10, etc... Just divide the big number by the little number and that's your ratio... Probably a good idea to change all fluids in the beast just to be safe, but I'm sure you already knew that or am probably way ahead of me on that anyhow...

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 12:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for your responses.

Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode