SM465 clutch linkage Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

SM465 clutch linkage Questions

Hello,
I'm working on swapping a SM465 into my M38A1 and I could use some help. The tranny itself is from a '78 GMC 4wd and has an aluminum bellhousing. Cast into the bellhousing behind the clutch fork is a flat spot with two hole tapped into it. I'm assuming this is the mounting surface for the clutch slave cylinder. Is this correct? I guess my question is what did the factory use for a clutch linkage and is it a good set up worth swapping in? By the looks of thing I'm assuming that they used a hydralic setup but I'm not sure. I've had bad luck with hydralic clutches in the past but if it's of a 1 ton chevy I assume it'll be pretty damn tough. Thanks for the help.
Travis

So many Jeeps... So little time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 09:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: SM465 clutch linkage Questions

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Nope. They used a standard rockshaft with a ball on each end just like so many have done. If you have the 12" B&B clutch, do yourself a favor and cut one spring out of each group till it only has nine springs. That way you can actually sit there with your foot on the clutch and your leg won't begin to tremble before the light changes to green, AND you won't fatigue the thrust bearing on the crankshaft. We have had several of the SM465 trannys in our 3/4T GMs, and before we began de-beefing the clutches, we broke each and every piece of factory clutch linkage from the pedal to the throwout fork from all that pressure. We even broke a flucrum pin in one of the clutch pressure plates. The pedal pivots and operates a vertical rod; that rod goes to the rockshaft(or belcrank if you want to call it that) and the rockshaft has a second arm which swings in an arc like your arm does if you just let it hang down; that arm has the adjustable rod which operates the throwout arm.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 09:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ah, CJDave I should have known[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Is there anything you don't know? Just curious. Everytime I need to know something there you are promtly delivering the desired info with a smattering of moonguys. So what would you suggest I use for a clutch linkage? I have several options I'm throwing around but I'd appreciate your opinion. I like the idea of hydralic but I'm very concerned about reliability. The stock pedal assembly drops threw the floor and has some assorted bell cranks and such. I could use this setup with my AA chain controler but my personal Jeep build philosophy states the body should serve no purpose other then looks and holding the icechest. So I was thinking about using a set up simular to the stock chevy or later CJ only mounted soley to the cage and frame. I guess hydralic would be ideal setup due to clearence and simplicity if I could find strong enough components. So whatcha think?
Travis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 09:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it looks like the bellhousing in these pictures, then it's probably for a hydraulic clutch.

http://www.off-road.com/chevy/rodent/clutch

This is my stock clutch on my 87 K5 Blazer (with 465 4spd). I think they would use the same setup on the 1 ton trucks. The clutch has worked flawless and has been very reliable for me. I'm currently using a Center Force Dual Friction clutch mounted to a 454 and a NP205 in back. I wouldn't trade this clutch setup for anything.

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 11:12 AM
kona_joe

The GM truck hydraulic bell housing has an ear with two mounting holes and one 1 3/8(approx)center hole molded onto the drivers side, just in front of the clutch fork opening. I just recently converted my 79K10 to a hydraulic clutch setup. . If you would like I could give you all the part numbers. You can purchase all of the components from your local GM dealer. A hydraulic setup would be easier to fabricate and would have less moving parts to go wrong (binding, throw, adjustment, etc.)

Hope this helps,
KJ

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2000, 12:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shawn
Thanks for the pictures, that's not the bellhousing I have. It's aluminum but only has two tapped holes in the side and no ring. I don't have a picture unfortunately.

Kona-joe
Did your conversion include a new bellhousing? What was the approximent cost for your conversion? What year trucks can you find that bellhousing on?

Thanks a lot for the help I raelly appreciate it.
Travis

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2000, 12:48 PM
kona_joe

AZJeeper,

I actually used a Lakewood blow proof bell housing modified to fit my transmission. The 465 trannies have a larger register (input shaft cover & brg retainer) than the std. car 4spd, so I had a machine shop enlarge the opening to accept the larger size (cost a few beers). I fabricated a bracket to mount the clutch slave cyl. and bolted it to the side of the Lakewood bell housing.

I bought all of the other parts from my local GM dealer for an 87 K20, around $160 dollars if I remember. I have all the part numbers at home (at work now) if you need them.

Parts youll need:

Clutch slave cyl.
Master cyl.
Reservoir
Cap
Reservoir rubber liner
High Pressure hose
Reservoir to master hose

I have a factory bell housing for a hyd clutch if you’re interested, since I went the Lakewood route.
I can send you a few pics of my setup if you like.

Hope this helps,
KJ

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2000, 02:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Kona-joe
Thanks for the info, there's a few options I'm considering right now and due to past bad expirences with hydralic clutches I'll probably go with a mechanical linkage with heims. But hydralic is certainly appealing for it's simplicity. Thanks again
Travis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode