Quadrasteer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 10:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Quadrasteer

I know the hardcore 4x4 enthusiast deplored the advent of IFS. Now with the announcement of the Quadrasteer rear-wheel steering for some 2002 models, do you think this will weaken the rear drivetrain? Do you think is more of a gee whiz thing or a good option to wait on? Also, is the composite bed going to be offered in the near future? I am interested in trading my 97 GMC Z-71 on a four door, but may wait for the 2002 models. This truck has been flawless with the "old" 5.7L V-8. I want to go with the new engine, but not the smaller V-8, but the 5.3L, I think. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks for the replies.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/txdoc2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 10:45 PM

Re: Quadrasteer

The four wheel steering will really help with the turning radius, but I'm sure that durability will become an issue if you put bigger tires on it. For some reason I doubt that lift kits are going to be available for the quadrasteer trucks, seems like there is just too much going on back there. I would steer clear (no pun intended[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]) of it if your going to use it as a real truck, I think it's aimed more at the people who want a truck, but want all of the comfort and convienience of a luxury car to go along with it. The same people who won't put anything in the bed because they're afraid of scratching the paint.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 10:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Shaggy. I had a GMC Jimmy with 44" Gumbo mudders and an "old" Warn 8274, a 6" lift, and blocks (I know they are not so safe, now) and the 97 Sierra I am driving has a Warn 8000 lb winch and 285/75-16 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders. I can go most places I need to to hunt and ride ATVs with this truck without the cv joint problems I used to deal with on the other 4x4. I was considering the Quadrasteer as I thought it would make getting around trees in the woods, where there is not much room and backing the ATV trailer where parking may be cramped, easier.
What do you think about the engine? Would you go with the larger V-8 for more power/torque, instead of the entry level one? Or, would you go with the biggest V-8 offered?
ps-This truck is also my car as I have no use for a car. I had a bad experience with a Merrcedes dealer who could not fix an air conditioner and had to go 200 miles to a dealer who fixed it with an ohm meter and screwdriver. I have a Hummer and it is my "real" 4x4, I guess. But, I would never own anything but a GM truck.
Thanks

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/txdoc2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 11:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well, ya gotta be expecting this answer from this board: BIGGER IS BETTER [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] haha. but really, i would go with the larger one. with the new fuel injection and all, they get pretty dang good gas mileage too. but damn son, you got a hummer??? thats my dream!! sorry i just had to pipe in my opinion

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Mike ~
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 04:17 PM

Yup, bigger is better! If I were going to buy a new fullsize Chevy, I'd get a 3/4 ton with the 6.0, but if you're driving in cramped woods, you probably want the standard cab shortbed?

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 07:51 PM

Hmmm, sounds like something you use the sawzall on when you get a lift...
Its mainly for soccer moms who need easier parking at the mall.

90K5
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 11:14 PM

I wonder if many people will get in wrecks because they arent used to driving something with 4 wheel steering. I drove one of John Deere's 4 wheel steering mowers (we may get one in a year or two[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]) at the John Deere Impliment and it felt crazy... your backend is swinging out so it feels like your sliding.... the pivot point you turn around with a 4 wheel steering jobby is farther forward.... .. what GM needs to do is put in left and right brake pedals to make slide'n around them tight turns easier.... I've been practicing that in the barn while scraping [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>
I eat chunks of dead cow.
Carnivore Man

[email protected]
</font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2000, 06:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Really? Cutting brakes on a pick-up. That would be a kick, seeing some poor old man pivoting his truck on his left rear tire outside of Furs, Hometown Buffet, (Enter your own all-you-can-eat), etc.

I think the concept of quadrasteer is a good thought. I am skeptical about adding additional complexities to pick-ups, but I have driven track-tractors, articulating loaders, and forklifts and all show that traditional lock-to-lock steering on pick-ups leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully GM can really get a quadrasteer out so that they can begin getting all of the reliability bugs out of it.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2000, 02:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You want a hummer 'eh? There was an article in Four Wheeler a few months back about a kit called the Bum-V or something, it was a fiberglass body shaped like a Hummer and could fit 38" tires WITHOUT a lift. The whole kit including doors, lights, and some interior stuff was like 6k total.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2000, 03:19 PM

Do you mean the "Bummer"?... there's one in this years Top Truck Challenge.... I dont think I have any really usefull info on it because I didnt subscribe to any 4x4 mags until this month I sent in a subscription form... but the problem is I havent gotten my first issue yet and cant remember what magazine I subscribed too.. Off Road or Four Wheeler? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img].. .hopefully I'll find out soon.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>
I eat chunks of dead cow.
Carnivore Man

[email protected]
</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode