What axle is it - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 09:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What axle is it

I seen a truck the other day It was a 78' Chevy 1/2 shorty. The guy had did some swapping because it had 14 bolt rear and he said dana 60 front but it only had 10 bolts on the diff cover so its stock GM 10 bolt right. Well for the rest, it was in pretty good shape with some of the paint cracking(it looked pretty thick) it had an 8 in lift with 75% 38.5 ground hawgs. He swapped in a 454 and wants 2000 more for it know, but it looks like something you would pull out of a junkyard for 500 he want 6000 iwas thinking of offering him 4500 whatcha think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 09:48 PM

Re: What axle is it

I'm pretty sure a Dana 60 has 10 bolts on the cover. I know there are other ways to identify them, but I dont know what they are. The price sounds a little steep, but its your decision.

90K5
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I forgot to ask he said it had a corporate 14 bolt and it does but how can I till if it is a full floater. Is there any external way, because I know what full-floater if but not sure how it works.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 10:39 PM

A D60 does have only 10 bolts on the cover. Just as an aside, the 10 in 10 bolt, the 12 in 12 bolt and the 14 in 14 bolt are meant to refer to the number of bolts holding on the ring gear, not the number in the diff cover, which is just coincidence.

A Semifloater 14 bolt will have a somewhat round diff cover, the FF has a sort of point on the bottom, it's nowhere near looking round. That and the fact that the FF will have a hub looking thing sticking out in the middle of the wheel, with bolts around the perimeter of it. The SF will look essentially like a 12 or 10 bolt, just flat across the center of the wheel.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 03:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

look at http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml
Good luck.

Greetings from Amsterdam,

River `90 K5, 350, TH700R4, NP241, "33, 3.08, 10 bolt F, 10 Bolt R(GOV-Lock)

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 09:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, a Dana 44 and a Dana 60 (both look similar) have 10 bolts that hold on the cover plate. I'm not sure how you tell a D44 from a D60. A GM corporate '10 bolt' front also has 10 bolts on the cover plate, but the plate is more round, slightly oval shaped.

The ID for the 14 bolt FF given earlier is correct. Keep in mind that the bigger case on the full floater (to hold the 10.5" ring gear) reduces your ground clearance more than a 14 bolt SF with it's smaller case (smaller ring gear).

$6000 is pretty steep for an older truck, especially a `78. It's already got an 8" lift, a 454, and big mudders so you know the truck has been used and abused pretty hard.

<font color=red>TOO MUCH POWER</font color=red> isn't enough.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 11:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Somewhere on the webbing around the 3rd member it will be stamped D44 or D60. You gotta scrape off all the grease and grime to find it, but it is the only way I know how to tell the difference.

I would go over the truck body with a magnet. I am weary of something that has thick cracking paint, there could be a couple gallons of bondo under there. Before I spent that much cash, I would take the truck to a mechanic. You never know.

FYI, Shaggy was right about the ring gear and cover bolts on Chevy's, but some BOP axles have 12 on the cover and 10 on the ring.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.personal.psu.edu/bjh182
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 11:41 AM
kona_joe

Dana 44s use balljoints

Dana 60s use brgs/kingpins

Look for a 4 bolt caps on the top & bottom
of the Dana 60 knuckles.

Hope this helps,
KJ

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 05:48 PM
muddfred

I have both on my Jimmy and it is easy to tell them from other axles. The steering arm on a 60 is straight and attached with 4 bolts, on a 44 or 10 or 12 bolts it looks like a boomarang and is attached with 3 bolts or studs. The passenger side springs on a 60 have 1 U-bolt and two bolts that go into the housing, on the others there are 2 u-bolts. The 14 bolts use 14 bolts to attach the diff cover but the shapes are different. The full floater diff cover looks like a dana 44 only larger and the semi floater looks round. The ends of the axles on a full floater have what looks like hubs with 10 bolts sticking out about four inches, these are the axle ends. The semi floater looks like a 44 or 10 or 12 bolts with the axle ends flush with the wheel.

the asking price may sound high but it will cost more than that to buy the $500 one and try to build it the same. I paid $700 for my 79 with a 4" lift and stock axles and have close to $8000 in it with axles(60 and 14 FF), gears(456), lockers, transfer case(205), motor(454), lift(8") and tires and rims(42" swampers).

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well watcha think is a good price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode