T-case lowering.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 08:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

T-case lowering..

Would I have to lower my transfer case if I just got a 4" lift? And if so, how much would it cost and would it be a pain in the ass?

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 08:31 PM

Re: T-case lowering..

Shouldn't be neccessary. Longbed, right? Either way, even on my shortbed with 6" of lift I didn't need to lower the case.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 08:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Some guy at 4wheelparts.com "suggested" I get spacers to lower it. He probably just wanted me to spend the extra money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 08:39 PM

No harm in trying without it first. Check the driveline angles after the lift is on. It'll probably be fine.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 08:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does yours rub at all? How hardcore do you offroad it? For me, I'll probably just take into fields around town, not very often though. That's what my P.O.S. 4Runner is for.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 10:31 PM

Does my what rub at all? I'm pretty hard on it, it's a dedicated wheeler, I have another truck as a daily driver.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 02:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shaggy, I am just curious, on your front end, with 6" lift, did you need to use pinion angle shims? If not do you get any driveline vibrations? I am guessing the answer to both is no. Just having a discussion regarding shims with a friend of mine who swears by them. I personally don't care for them. Thanks.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 04:04 PM

Unfortunately I do have shims under the springs in the front. They're small but neccessary. When I finally find a D60 I'll have it cut and turned, but I just don't want to spend the money on this axle. I check the u-bolts before every trip, because the shims make me nervous as hell.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 05:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Evan. With 6" I guess they would be. 4" I think is borderline, they shouldn't be necessary, in my opinion - maybe I am wrong? I put them in on my friends advice when I did the lift, and haven't taken them out yet. He's run with them for 9yrs, but doesn't wheel as hard or carry heavy loads like I do. They do make me nervous, and the reduced caster gives the steering a slight wobbly/wandery feel. Its my daily driver as well, so I notice it. I plan on taking them out. Two other friends of mine have 4" as well and no shims, and as yet no problems with vibration or other, and they are pretty hard on their trucks. Whats your opinion on 4"? You seem to know what your talking about.

Sorry to barge in on your post Big Bear, just tweaked my curiousity.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 07:21 PM

On a 4" it would probably be fine with a non-CV driveshaft, but if you use a CV shaft up front I would think that you'd still need shims, or else the u-joint will be out of phase at the pinion, causing vibrations and a short lifespan (for the joint, not you[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode