Newbie Q's on BDS lift W/Shackles & newB resources - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Newbie Q\'s on BDS lift W/Shackles & newB resources

I dont know a lot about cars and I know less about turn'n a Suburban into a big 'ol beast.... But I'm gunna do it anyway. What I'd like to know is where I can find a webpage,magazine, or article for newbies or beginners to 4x4's.... I got me a '76 Sub which I intend to put 38.5" Swamper TSL-SX's on... I thinking about a BDS 5.5" lift after reading the review in the "Potent Rodent" project.... but it says they put 6" BDS springs in the front along with 2" BDS springs in back with 4" Offroad Design shackle flips... is there a benefit to doing it with the 4" Shackles over haveing just 6" springs in both front and back? I plan on just fool'n around on my own property mostly... I dont intend to do any rock crawling or anything.. just Mudd'n..(gotta have something to chase the cows up with.. =)

Oh ya, I got an awsome prof. welder for a neighbor... how hard is it to make shackles? They dont look that complicated..

I eat meat,
Carnivore Man
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 02:46 PM

Re: Newbie Q\'s on BDS lift W/Shackles & newB resources

First off you have already found one of the best places to learn[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] http://ColoradoK5.com is another.
Just so you know, 38.5" Swampers will not fit under a 6" lift without some major body cutting (The sawzall is your friend[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]).
Shackle flips let you use softer less arched springs, so they flex alot better and ride alot better as well. When you do go fourwheelin keeping your tires on the ground is a GOOD thing, so the more flexy the suspension is the better!
Having a Prof. welder as a neighbor is awesome!!! be real nice to this guy, you will need him! and yes he could make the shackle flip for you!

Oh on a personal note, you might want to re-think your signature "I eat meat" sound's kinda, er, uh, weird, know what I mean[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

hmm... okay.. I asked my neighbor how hard it was to trim the fenders, he said it aint that hard... so I guess thats fine... (he got his fancy Sawzall last year... he keeps it in the metal case, and that in the cardboard box it came in so the metal case doesnt get scratched... he's a neat freak.. =)
.... so I should get the shackle flips rather than just the plain 'ol 6" lift?

and I catch yer drift on the Sig quote... I changed it.. =)

I eat chunks of dead cow.
Carnivore Man
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 04:23 PM

Yeah shackle flips would be better than 6" springs you will still need 2" more in the rear, (This is in order from BEST to OK, also the prices go this way as well)
2" lift springs, or
2" add-a-leaf's, or
2" blocks.
There are a few people on here that have made there own shackle flips out of stock GM shackles, they should be able to tell you exactly what to do, I know somebody had alot of good pics of there homemade ones as well. (don't remember who though, I think it was a Texan?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img])
(much better sig! nobody should misunderstand that!)
And yes everybody seems to be real happy with their BDS springs! plus you gotta love that name[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode