#@!$*#$ axle seals - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

#@!$*#$ axle seals

Here's some history:
In December my Z71 was rearended by a Ford F350 SuperDuty while I was waiting for the guy in front of me to turn left. The other truck was doing 35-40 mph and had less than 5' of brake marks on the street. The rear bumper was shoved under the truck, the spare tire was jammed into the diff, and the pinion angle was rotated up so far that it was almost impossible to drive it the remaining mile home.

Fast forward to April. When my front right caliper locked on a road trip with a trailer in tow I got it fixed at a Pep Boys. The guy shows me that my rear axle seals are leaking too, so I replace them the following weekend once I'm back home.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. Took the truck to Sears for an alignment and the guy noticed that the right rear seal is leaking again, but not much.

Fast forward to Sunday night. I went out to the truck and found a puddle under my right rear tire[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]. I found another puddle Monday night[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] (parked in a different place).

So now I'm going to replace both seals again (found the other one leaking when I was checking fluid level last night), but seriouslly wonder if the wreck didn't tweak the axle just enough to cause this problem. I've replace inner and outer axle seals before in many different types of axle's without them ever leaking, so I doubt I could have screwed this simple job up that bad.

If they leak again after this I'm finding a SF 14bolt and regearing the front to match it.

John
95.5 YJ with "stuff"
94 GMC Z71 without "stuff"
http://SonsofThunder4x4.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 12:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: #@!$*#$ axle seals

The newer GM ten bolts are known for axle and pinion seals leaking. The biggest problem is that the axle is supporting most of the rearend weight on that outside bearing and that also causes the seal to wear. I see most tahoes,yukons and suburbans with over 30,000 miles on them doing the same thing. Some people who trailer heavy weight with there half tons have them done about every ten thousand miles or so.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 05:00 PM
RolngThun

Maybe you might try an axle saver bearing. This is a bearing with the seal built in. It also has an inner race so the bearing don't ride right on the axle. It does cost more, about the same as a Ford rear wheel bearing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 11:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is their any play in your wheel bearing? This would cause the seal to leak premature. Also check your vent tube.

88 1500 4X4 6 in. SUPERLIFT, 35X12.50BFG AT

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 01:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

why we are on axle bearings and seal.how hard is it to change them i have one bearing in the rear thats driving me crazy with it sqeakin all the time ,cant figure what one is doing it so i will just change them both ,how long do you think it would take and approx.how much,thanks again,oh by the way its a 85 k5 10 bolt

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

I don't remember any play in the bearings when I pulled it apart the last time. I checked it, and everything was okay. The vent tube is okay too, but why would I want to check that?

John
95.5 YJ with "stuff"
94 GMC Z71 without "stuff"
http://SonsofThunder4x4.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 12:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The pressure build up in the rear end would force oil out of the easiest place it can breathe.Mine was stopped up, and forced the oil out of the pumpkin where the tubes go in.When I lossened the breather, it shot off into the unknown portions of the garage.I fixed it, and it quit leaking!! Go figure!!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ouch hope your ok from the accident? Getting hit by one of them monsters doesn't sound like fun!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode