Corp. 14 bolt FF - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Corp. 14 bolt FF

I plan on installing a corp. 14 bolt FF in the rear of my 95 Chevy 1/2 ton. It has a 10 bolt right now. My question is: does the 14 bolt have the same spring perches and pin diameter as the 10 bolt? If it does it should bolt right in correct? Also, I am switching to a solid front axle (see 4wd conversion post) and is there a company that makes a disc brake setup for gm dana 60 front that will work with late model ABS system?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 07:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Corp. 14 bolt FF

I'm not sure about on your truck, but on my '86 K5 Blazer, the 14 bolt FF was a straight bolton from the 10 bolt. That said, 15 inch tires wouldn't fit on mine, so I had to got to 16 inch, no big deal. That's about it for now.

Dave

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 01:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 14 bolt may be a bolt in IF you got it from a 88 or newer truck. If not, you will have to move the spring perches. The U-joint can be fitted with a combination or "trick" u-joint so you can use existing shaft. Brakes lines should hook up with no problems. E-brakes may or may not work. If it's an older axle, you will have to steal a backing plate off a newer 14 bolt GM or run a disk setup like TSM's. Shocks should bolt up. Not sure about the ABS. Sounds like a nice truck!

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 04:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

By the way, did you get a kit for you straight axle conversion? Im looking into this project myself, and the only people I know selling a kit is ORU and $750 is not a price I want to pay for just a couple of brackets and bolts!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

No, no one makes a kit for the 2wd to 4wd solid axle conversion. I also would not want to pay that much for the ORU kit. I am fabricating my own spring hangers and thats pretty much all you need. Just figure out the spring pad center to center width and then hang your springs accordingly. Don't buy your springs until after you have your spring hangers though since you can't know for sure how much lift you will have just from your spring hangers being there. I am lifting back to fit my tires and get the stance I want then I am lifting the front accordingly.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 11:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am in the middle of this swap myself. A 14 bolt from a '88 and up will bolt right up. I used a 14 bolt from a '97 pickup. The only problem I had was that I did not get the plate that the u-bolts go through on the bottom of the axle. If don't have these you will have to get them (dealership charges around $20 each). I had to rig my e-brake but it works.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode