No more Camaro - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

No more Camaro

I know this isn't truck related, but its Chevy related. they are going to stop making the Camaro and Firebird in 2002. I want to know what the hell GM is thinking. Did f*** pay them to do this or something? I dont know about anyone else, but I haven't been to impressed with GM lately except for the new HDs. the Pontiac Aztec, The Avalanche, do they relly think people will buy these pieces of sh*t? I heard they are goin to replace the Camaro with a truck that is 2WD and has a V8. Whats the point of that? Its not fast because its a truck, but you dont buy a truck for that anyway, but you cant go off roading in it either. Why would someone buy that when they could get a mustang[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] for about the same money and have something fast. (that cant beat a Camaro)

90K5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 10:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: No more Camaro

I am not a Ford fan, but useing you reasoning, why does the Lightning sell so well? I just read a story comparing a bunch of American, and Import sports car. The best handleing car of the bunch was the Mustang Cobra STV R. The sales of the F body, has been declining, and I bet that GM decided to try a differant angle on the performance thing. By the way, do you remember the Typhone's and Cyclone's? Those where some pretty quick trucks that GM put out. Is GM making a mistake by discontinuing the F body? Well, that I don't know. What GM really needs to do is provide an entry level car that could actually compete with the Mustang. I am a GM fan, but if I was looking for a new performance car, I would be looking at Ford or Dodge. Yes, I know you guys are going to hammer me because of this.

Thanks, Ray

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 10:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where did you hear this, there have been rumors for years that GM was going to discontinue the F-body, until i see the GM press release that says to I'm still a little leery about the idea. As far as the 2wd v8 truck, are you talking about the SSR that they just decided to make if so that is far from the replacement for the f-body, that thing is gonna be more limited than corvettes, not saying that the vettes are very limited or anything, but the SSR will be.

Ryan

-I shoulda been a cowboy-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 08:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That still makes me wonder also. Yes, Motor Trend said the F-bodies will be D/C'd by 2002. I am a Ford fan but can appreciate a good solid fast vehicle like the F-bodies. This is only a guess but does GM offer low low APR's on their F-bodies??? I know I had a 99 Mustang and had a 2.9% for three years, does GM offer them that low????"? Its hard to explain why they don't sell. But I think they were going to bring out a look alike "Lexus 300" with the V8 in it to replace the F-bodies. Well either way sad to see it go, they will probally bring it back like the Impala sooner or later.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 11:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just to add to what Fyrbaal said do you remember those early El Caminos with the right equipment they where killers,And I'm not sure if it's the same vehicle but I've been seeing a retro looking chevy pickup in car mags with a V-8 it would be a very cool ride.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 02:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah the retro looking one is the SSR, I think it is gonna be priced a good bit higher than the F-body though.

Ryan

-I shoulda been a cowboy-
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 03:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just an aside on the camaro issue but i have read that they are not going to be discontinued but will no longer be on the f-body platform. I think I read the will be less sports carish more like a grand prix of sorts w/ a v-8. Have you guys ever seen those holden's in Australia, its just one of gm's branches..picture this a cavalier w/ an LS-1. They have it..why can't we.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 04:10 PM
Pooh-Bah

Hey someone just stepped on my toes! I think they should keep the Camaro and make a V-8 super truck! I've never lost to a Camaro, I can off-road, and tow a trailer! But not all three at the same time. (Cuz the Camaro would get stuck)

Chevota
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 09:26 PM
Drew K1500

These rumors float to the surface every so often but from what I have heard it is a bunch o' "Bravo Sierra". Why would they stop making a car that continues to sell so well. And the new z28s get 28 MPG. Now I would buy a Grand Prix GTP if i had the dough. Hell that thing will take on a Mustang with that 3.8 supercharged v6. With a little work these cars can put out over 300hp.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 10:26 PM
Mud in my Veins

Okay, according to Hot Rod, who is a good source on this matter, the F-body will disappear for about a year sometime soon. Then the Camaro will reappear, in a smaller, but faster and still V-8 rwd platform. Supposedly they are trying to get back in touch with the original, smaller Camaro. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] If you think about it, they have gotten bigger since the 2nd Gen, and the Mustang has stayed about the same size. I like the idea if this is really what is going to happen. On a down note, no one has heard anything about the Firebird's reappearance......[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode