305 hop ups - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 04:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

305 hop ups

I know that a 305 is the king of the slugs, but mine has 64,000 actual miles on it ('87 Chevy). What does everybody think about putting a preformer manifold, camshaft, & headers on this slug?? I can't seem to get my self up to replacing a fairly good motor. Any thaughts or ideas here?? I've got 36" tires on it and 4.56 gears.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '87 Chevy 1/2t SWB in the making!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 05:00 PM

Re: 305 hop ups

The best hop up I know of for it is to hop it up out of the engine compartment and hop in a 454[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

90K5
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 05:13 PM
Veteran

Not sure what you can do to your engine but I imagine most mods that you could do to a 350 you can do to your 305. As for how everyone thinks 305's suck and they don't have power, I don't agree with that. I have a 90 C1500 with a 305, bought it from the original owner with 388650 Kms on it and that damn thing has tons of power for the truck. And the thing still gets 22 MPH highway and 16 city!!!!

Just my 2 cents....Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 05:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Honestly, sell it and get at least a 350. Its hard to hop up those really small motors. They've got small cylinder heads, and small displacements, and its tough to make power with them. I played that game with a 283 I have. Ended up building a 383 out of some various cores I had around. Should have done that in the first place.

I'd definitely save your cash on the intake. The performer is just an aluminum version of the one you already have - its lighter but won't flow any better. A better cam might help some. Headers, small tube, 1-1/2" primaries, might give you a boost. But are they worth it? If you do decide to go with a bigger motor later on, neither the cam nor the headers will be any good for your new motor. Sure you could go oversize now, but you'll also have crappy performance now too.

Save your $$$. Or spend it on other drivetrain mods, new paint, a winch or something you can use on a new engine. You will be dissappointed if you spend it on your 305, and out the cash.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 11:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

On a budget note, I'd recommend using dual exhaust for starters, headers are better. Headers need some extra attention to keep them exhaust leak free. The stock intake mainfold is fine for up to 300 HP motors. The camshaft I'd recommend would be the Competition Cam Xtreme 4X4 version with about .430 lift. It's alot of work to replace the camshaft, but it is possible with the engine in the truck. All in all, I would just keep the 305 tuned up, use a K&N air filter, and dual exhaust, then wait till the 305 went bad, then build an engine that would make the performance I wanted.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think you should go for it. If you are happy with the engine then do it. I am not sure about the manifold comments but i would say just throw in an edelbrock combo w/ some headers...although those extreme 4x4 cams are nice. Are you worried about emmissions? What year is the truck?
In fact if you don't want to go through the hassle of the cam change why not just put some 1.6:1 ratio roller rocker arms on. This will increase the duration and lift some.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2000, 04:08 PM

Actually just about anything you do externally to that engine will be able to bolt up to a 350 in the future![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
That is the Beauty of Chevy engines!
Your Intake and Headers will be the same.
A new cam and lifters are relatively inexpensive but quite a PITA to put in.
If I were you, I would stick to external mods, (Intake, Headers, Dual exhaust, K&N air cleaner, NOS system[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])
and when the engine does go south, replace it with a 350 and put all your good stuff back on it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 05:50 PM
Veteran

About the intake. If your 305 is like my old 305, yours will have a 2 barrel intake and a 2 barrel Rochester carb sitting on top of it. YouŽll gain some torque & hp replacing that with something like Edelbrocks Performer intake and a small 4 barrel carb (400-500 cfm), or a used cast iron Gm 4 barrel intake.....and a 14-71 Littlefield Blower. Dont forget the scoop (sorry, gotta be worse than Scooby[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])

Andreas

If a Blazer runs smooth, it isnŽt really a Blazer[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2000, 09:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This one is a '87 with TBI. I thinking serious about Dave's ideas on the cam shaft. I have a thaught that maybe the cataltic converter has gone south. This pickup was getting 12 to 14 (at 65 mph), now it's down to 10 & less somtimes. If I put headers on, do I need the ones with A.I.R. injection, or can I get the ones with out, get rid of the pump, weld a bung on for the O2 senser, & go for it??

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '87 Chevy 1/2t SWB in the making!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode