inline sixes? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 06:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

inline sixes?

i turned 16 and just got my first job, im lookin for a truck to bash around with off on the trails around my house and stuff. its mainly mud, and hills, and i was wondering if a 4wd with an inline 6 would have the power? my dad used to have one and he said that they are reliable as hell, he even threw a piston through the hood once and was able to drive it home. I am also leaning towards the 6 because of fuel economy, and the torque. so would a k10 or scottsdale with a 6 be good for what i want?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: inline sixes?

The 250 (I-6) is not a bad motor really, as far as trails I say it is fine, Good torque, and reliability also. And look at it this way, if it isn't what you want, A 350 will bolt right up to the Bellhousing that your 250 bolts up to. just change the motor mounts.

<center>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 06:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You will probably have to go back to the early '80s to find one. They later replaced the 250-6 cyl. with the 4.3 V6, which is a better engine! I had a 250 in a '80 chevy 4x4, and it would pull a house. Fuel mileage sucked, I replaced it with a 350 (V8), and my milage went up 3 to 4 MPG. The later 250's had a head & intake manifold that were cast togeather, they are REAL prone to cracks! The 250 was never fuel injected either. I'd try and find one with the 4.3 V6, then when you get tired of it, you can put any Chevy V8 in the place of it! (You can do this with the 250 6 cyl. also!) Good luck!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '87 Chevy 1/2t SWB in the making!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 06:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've had a few 250's and they are GREAT!! I'm building one now that's bored 60 over, big cam, 4-barrel, headders, etc. There is a LOT of stuff you can do to a 250, that's cheaper, and builds more low power than a 350. I have a list of people a mile long with 350's that want to pull. Power is in the gears!! Good luck, and have fun.

A 4x4 isn't a 4x4 unless it has scratches!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 06:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ah yes, I forgot all about the cerrated(sp) heads on those model 250's. well, power is what I need, I am planing on building my truck for Mud Bogs only, and for my source of power I am building a 454 big block.. but it is costing me an arm and a leg to do it I had a 250 in a 2wd chevy once, and the torque was hellacious...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 07:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

250, 4-speed, 4.11 gears. Can't beat it!! Mine was a 1/2 ton but was like a tank. I've towed more 3/4 ton trucks around with it than I can remember.

Trucks don't talk back.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 07:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Builds more power then a stock 350? what year?...a 350 will always build more power then a 250..Frank you would most likely be alright with the 250 at first but once you start to get more experience you will want more power..why spend money building up a 250 when you can just go and buy most any 80s 4x4 and it will have a v8 already in it then you dont need to worry about swapping from 250 to 350 because you will already have the 350...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 07:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would say go with a V8 anyways, but if you find a truck you want don't pay attention to the engine size, that can always be changed. Gas mileage is getting to be a concern, but a built 250 i dunno about mpg there.....

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Straight six engines can (if the same effort is used to build it as with a 350) and WILL build more low end tourque than a V8. Check out Clifford Performance or PAW (performace auto wharehouse) They both specialize in I6 stuff and will tell you the same.

Trucks don't talk back.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 07:21 PM
RolngThun

I had an 80 with a 250 and four speed. I loved that truck.
It was extremely dependable, got great gas mileage, and I pulled my first mud truck on a 18 foot trailer with it. It pulled up hills faster then my buddies 302 Ford.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode