RC Trucks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 12:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

RC Trucks

well, after seeing DepDogs write up about the Traxxas TMaxx it made my final decision to go buy one. i ended up with the Traxxas Nitro Stampede which is a tiny bit smaller but still a bad a$$ little truck. i also saw shawns reply about younger people on teh board and he mentioned a RC section - i will have to check that out. anyways - just wanted to see if anyone else here has an RC truck? they are so much fun and i thought we could use some fun talk after the last week or so of everyone getting pissed. so i bought my truck last week took some pics and im waiting to get em developed so i can add em to my webpage. anyone else??

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Mike ~
"The more I learn about women the more I like my TRUCK!" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 01:46 AM

Re: RC Trucks

I love RC stuff.... Me and my brother used to always get those blasted little Tyco and Nikko piles of crap.. man were those wastes of money.. I remember getting excited when they could peal out on loose gravel a *LITTLE* bit.... then one fine day my brother and I stumbled upon a magazine in a store called "Car Action." With this magazine full of REAL R/C cars and trucks, we came to the light, leaving our tainted past of inferior R/C stuff behind.(still have that first issue we got too... although its SERIOUSLY worn) ... and then when my brother and I were considering what car or truck to buy(we were probably gunna get an RC-10 buggy), our cousin went in the navy and gave us his Tamyia Grasshopper 2 with a Futaba Magnum Jr. controller, a 15 min battery charger, 3 battery packs, and a whole box of junk parts that served no purpose.. =) ..... we beat on that fer a while and found out that spiked tires wear down REALLY fast on a cement driveway.... after playing with that fer a while with its cheap shocks, cheap chassis, Manual speed control, and Heat sink that gets red hot(although thats what heatsinks for those are meant to do), my brother bought a Kyosho Ultima truck.... it was neato cheeto, the first realR/C truck we ever played with(the Nikko's and Tyco's dont count) and it had independent front and rear suspension (The grasshopper didnt in back). ... about a year later I bought a Team Losi JRxT (truck of the year that year, in '92) for $190 with no electronics... I bought a 36,000 RPM Ground Zero Motor for it and a Futaba something er other electronic speed control with reverse(I cant remember the funky model number).... that truck was soooo cool... with its BRIGHT orange 3 piece rims and graphite chassis, it ripped, and it beat the crap out of my brothers truck and the Grasshopper....

After a few years of play'n with'm, break'n them, repairing, and playing some more.... The grasshopper is in pieces around the house..... my brothers truck is in pieces... my truck is still together!...... Although I'm missing many screws, the few screws I do have on its chassis are most stripped, and I have a piece of fencing wire acting as a pushrod for my front right wheel(which actually works great)... My brother recently bought a Team Associated B3 buggy... oh my gosh that thing beats the freaking crap out of my truck..... it handles beautifly... turns on a dime, shocks are great, and it goes sooo fast.... it puts my truck to shame.. =(

Were also a little into R/C Planes too.. we got a few big fields (live on a farm), so we got room to fly..... heh, on like the second or third flight of our "Sturdy Birdy" trainer plane, I managed to get it upside down and crashed it into our barn roof... it took out a chunk of cedar shakes where the prop hit..... the plane was fine(its dang tough.... has a PVC fuselage), but I snapped the Carburator clean off the engine.. =( .... we have a new O.S. Engine now (its blue too.. =).... havent flown it much though....

We have a huge stack of "Car Action Magazine" from subscribing for like 8 or 9 years worth... every once in a while we start looking through Car Action again and get all interested and want to buy a Juggernaught 2 or a T-Maxx... (I almost bought a Traxxis Sledgehammer in the days LONG before the Stampede or the T-Maxx, rather than the JRxT I got)....

R/C Trucks are awsome.... but now all my money is going to a lift kit and tires for our Suburban... *sigh*... I need to get an awsome job so I can do both... I'd really like to get a Juggernaught.. those are Huge!... THey're 4x4x4.... four wheel drive AND four wheel steering.. =)

are you still reading this? I rambled on a bit.. =)

I eat meat,
Carnivore Man
[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 09:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>I've had these things for over 11 years. My first one was an original Tamiya Blackfoot that I beat the snot out of learning how to drive and I even raced it a few times. I had it for 9 years until my brother drove it off the picnic table out back and broke the frame. I also had a Tamiya Thundershot when i was a kid. It was a 4WD buggy. Right now I have an RC10T3, an RC10GT, a Nitro Stampede, and a pair of clod axles that I will use on a JPS kit this winter. The GT has an OS CV but I may put that motor in my Stampede and get a CV Hyper since I race the GT. I also plan on upgrading to the new style flat-plate chassis since mine is a 98 and the new chassis is new this year. The T3 is basicly stock. The stock turnbuckles and hinge pins are already bent, so a set of Lunsford turnbuckles and hinge pins will be added over the winter.

heres the GT

heres the T3

and heres the Stampede. It has full ball bearings, RPM chrome 3 spokes (not shown), MIP 360 degree pipe, Parma Chevy truck body and HPI shocks. I wore out the stock TRX 15 so i'll put in the CV from my GT when I get the CV Hyper.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a Tamaiya Hi-Lux with a hot motor and some suspension tweaks, etc. It smokes!!! I even have a set of street tires and will buy a set of paddles once I can convince my roomate to be willing to race me with his RC-10T. I also have a Super Blackfoot that i am reviving from the depths of childhood. I really much rather work on them than drive them to tell the truth.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 01:19 PM

I had a bunch of these when I was around 10. I live on a golf course and me and one of my friends had a RC car track back there that we cleared out and it was awesome! We had like 4 different tracks. I went through 2 Nikko cars in 1 day. An exploder and an S10 Blazer. Then I got a f*** truck that I had forever till I went the wrong way into my friends pool. I got a 4X4 van that I ran in the creek and then a Chevy truck. Those things were awesome but expensive cause I always bought chep one s and broke them

90K5
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 10:22 PM

90K5, you should try buying a cheap Tamyia... you can get a li'l buggy fer like 70 or 80 bucks with a motor and speed control.... Nikko's and all those cheap ones dont even compare to REAL R/C cars and trucks... buy Car Action and look through it..... yer never too old for R/C crap... =)

I eat meat,
Carnivore Man
[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 10:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

BIGGREY71, i saw your posts over on the RC board from a while back too and saw what you were saying about never running without a temp guage. i havent even seen these and teh guy at my hobby shop never mentioned it. how much was yours and was it pretty easy to install? i have been thinking about that since i got mine on how i can keep track of it overheating. thanks

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Mike ~
"The more I learn about women the more I like my TRUCK!" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>The guage is made by MIP http://www.miponline.com and it was about $35 I think. I kept burning up motors and the guy at the shop recomended it so I got it when I got my OS CV. I dont know how I was even able to drive as much as I did without it. It is the best tuning tool I ever got (even better than my flat-head mini-screwdriver [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] ) and I belive it has paid for itself already (I have a gallon and a half through that CV and I never had the backing plate off, I would have bought at least one piston and sleeve by now without it). I mounted it on the body (it comes with a bracket and I used 2 allen head screws I had) so I can see it from the driver's stand [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] while I drive. It has a built-in plug so it can be unplugged to remove the body and to help the battery last longer. A lot of people like to mount it on the steering servo, but then its hard to see, even when its stopped

I keep it as close to 220 degrees farenhiet as I can. This is warm enough to make power and keep running, but not too lean which makes the piston and sleeve wear faster. These motors are cooled by the fuel in the oil, so if you lean it to much there wont be enough oil in the motor to keep it cool. I highly recomend this guage. Its not as acurate as an infrared guage, but you dont have to stop the truck to read it and its cheap and easy to use.</font color=blue>

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2000, 11:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I still have my RC-10 Team Car from like 7 years ago. i have a 13T motor in it with a 7 cell battery. It just comes back for more and more punishment. Man ithink I am gonna go charge it up right now, course it'll take all night to find it.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 09:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

[b] Well, my wife used to own a company called VELOCITY MOTORS. They built high perfomance mod moters and the likes. She has been into Rc racing for as long as I can remeber. She is also the saterday night race director at Mikes Hobby Shop in carrolton,tx. She is on leave right now getting ready for the wedding but will be returning soon there after. Me, i like em, I have had a couple of rc10's and a few gassers, but dont have one right now. I am looking for a clodzilla, and will buy when when I come across a good deal. HAVE A NICE DAY!!

http://dblazer.coloradok5.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode