Newbie to Blazers, Best All Around? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 07:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Newbie to Blazers, Best All Around?

Hello,
I am fairly new to cars in general, but I am very interested in a 4x4 Chevy blazer or Jimmy, Can someone tell me the best all around model year (preferably fuel injected) to look into considering factors like fuel economy, durability, etc etc, i really dont care, I would get a 79 jimmy but parents are lame and want me to get something newer like late 80's.
Well thanks Ya'll

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 08:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Newbie to Blazers, Best All Around?

Well, it's a toss up. Earlier blazers were heavier duty, and newer ones were more "refined". The good thing is that you can swap just about anything. So, you could get the 79 with the better tranny and rear axle and just adapt a TBI set-up on to it, but, that is a lot of work. I'd suggest finding an 86 or newer jimmy which would give you a fuel injected engine, OD tranny, more power, and better transfer case reduction. If your gonna put bigger tires and a lift on it, I'd say looking into upgrading the rear 10-bolt axle before one of your wheels attempts to pass you one day. One more thing, fill out your profile!!!

Keith
<font color=green>82 cj-7 laredo</font color=green>
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>

"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 09:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>Well, they came with fuel injection from 87-91. A bunch had power windows and doorlocks, and they have nice interiors (compared to the lack thereof in my 71 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] ). The only real difference between the fuel injected years were grille styling, so Its all personal preference. Check out http://www.coloradok5.com its all blazers and jimmies</font color=blue>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 09:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

'87-'91 should get you better gas mileage as well. I averaged about 15 in my '89 with a 350. Believe its a combination of the fuel injection and overdrive transmission.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 07:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with 87-91 model years...mostly because of the straight axle...I'm guessing this is a first truck (judging from the "parent" reference), so it needs to be reliable for school, job, etc....keeping that in mind, I'd stay with looking at relatively untouched vehicles..(moderate lift, moderate wheel size)...big and loud is fine if you have the MONEY and mechanical expertise to work on it yourself...don't jump all over something just cause it shines in the sun...it may be a diamond in a goats ass...Don't be so hard on yer folks, sometimes parents know their kids better than they know themselves...Lame = wisdom of experience...there's plenty of low mileage one owners out there just waitin' for ya...Good Luck, let us know what ya get...K5

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 09:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's a bit too bad that parents think newer automatically means more reliable. I had the same problem about two years ago when I ended up getting an '89 K1500. The thing is, trucks have a hard time lasting ten years without needing some big attention. Mine came in the form of rebuilding the transmission, the front-end, the rear-end, numerous electrical problems, and the A/C. If I were to add the combined price, I could have purchased a vehicle that was only two or three years old at the time and a lot of shop time, hassle, and piece-of-mind would have been saved. Even better, I could have found a '72 pick-up that I would have liked, sunk half the money into it, and had a far superior off-road vehicle. The spare money could have gone toward lots of miles worth of fuel.

In short, at about ten years old, you might encounter some expensive fixes. Parts are more expensive and mechanics aren't known to be especially good with the computer controls. I even had a mechanic tell me that Z71=100hp more than a regular 4x4. I would hate to see the fullsize '89 with a factory rated 100hp.

An early 90's Blazer/Jimmy is, by no means going to be as reliable as you think, and the earlier ones aren't going to be as bad as your parents think. It is really a toss up. However, EFI is a nice off-road and driveability perk.

I don't really have any suggestions as to what is the best truck for you, but I would keep in mind that, with trucks especially, its not a matter of if it will break, it is a matter of when it will break.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 10:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oops, guessed I missed EFI by one year. 87 it began.

Keith
<font color=green>82 cj-7 laredo</font color=green>
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>

"Vise grips and duct tape, the tools of life."
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 11:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well said, Desert Chevy...I bought my trucks bone stock from the original owners and neither of them had ever been off the pavement...bought my loaded 89 3yrs ago with 61K from a yuppie who pulled his golf cart with it...it's got a little bitty 1" receiver hitch on it, so I know he didn't pull anything bigger...I paid $5200 for it...there are some screamin' deals out there...There's an immaculate 72 Blazer for sale just down the way...350, 465/205/D44/12B/4:10...wants $9000 for it...it pays to take your time and most of all do your homework...if your Dad, Uncle, whoever ain't a motorhead...find some levelheaded friend to help...I am assuming we are talking a modest budget and limited mechanical experience in this case...I know there is a ton of friendly and experienced knowledge, talent and experience on this board eager to help...I'm just thinkin' back to my first car and how I benefitted from the help I got from my Aunt's boyfriend...JD...(btw, it was a 49 Olds)

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok I will definitely be looking into the 87-89s, 90 and 91 tend to be out of my price range, I appreciate your guys responses, and I will keep reading and looking around for a good deal while improving my knowledge. I do have plenty of levelheaded mechanic friends who have offered to help me out and I intend to use that help, but for now, I will keep working and making money and look around for a good deal, Thanks! and I will keep you posted!

Colin Erdman
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 01:26 PM
Mud in my Veins

I agree with what everyone else said, and biggrey71 was right, go to www.coloradok5.com and get a BBS name on there. They are the K5 e-bible! They even help me out and I drive a IFS Blazer.
Oh yeah, and get a 350 in it, the 305 is not even close in power, only gets like 1mpg more, and is just a turkey overall. Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode