Straight Axle Measurements and Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2000, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Straight Axle Measurements and Questions

I need the front spring pad center to center width of the springs in an older model chevy 86 below straight axle truck and the distance from center of front spring hanger to center of rear spring hanger in the front. This is so I know where to place my spring hangers. I already have the center line marked on my frame. Just need to know where to stick the hangers. Also, are the front and rear hangers on the front of the truck level front to back with each other or do they have a tilt? If so, which one is lower and by how many inches. Also, on a stock straight axle truck (no lift), how many inches are between top of front diff. and first thing it can come into contact with? So, if any who read this have an older body style pickup or blazer it would be greatly appreciated if you could go out and take a few minutes to help me on my project by measuring your truck. Also, know of any websites with examples of spring hangers with dimensions on them?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 06:06 PM

Re: Straight Axle Measurements and Questions

I need the front spring pad center to center width of the springs in an older model chevy 86 below straight axle truck

<font color=red>31 7/8"</font color=red>

and the distance from center of front spring hanger to center of rear spring hanger in the front.

<font color=red>46.5" from front mount to the mount for the shackle in the frame</font color=red>

are the front and rear hangers on the front of the truck level front to back with each other or do they have a tilt?

<font color=red>rear spring mount (where the shackle bolts to the frame) is 2.25" higher than the front mount.</font color=red>

on a stock straight axle truck (no lift), how many inches are between top of front diff. and first thing it can come into contact with?

<font color=red>Sorry, my truck has a lift, but there's lots of room in there</font color=red>

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 07:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

just out of curiousity, are you converting a 2WD to 4WD?

<center>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it is for a 2wd to 4wd conversion. Thanks man for all the measurements. Really helped me out alot.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Also, how wide are the spring eyes for the front? How big of a diameter are the holes in the bushings in the front spring packs (what size bolt)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode