Move to the top of the list, worth every penny - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 09:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Move to the top of the list, worth every penny

Last week I ordered a Steering brace from Stephen Watson at http://www.OffroadDesign.com and it arrived today. I was very impressed with the quality of the product. The welds were top notch and it fit exactly the way it was supose to without any need for modification, unlike most of the products I have put on my truck. It went on without a hitch and took me only about a hour to install. I wasn't really expecting to notice anything different about the truck on the street, I was just trying to do some preventative measures to save the frame from damage from the Dreaded cracked frames that our trucks are so famous for.
For a goof I took the truck for a ride around the block and before I got 3 houses away I noticed something different, My steering wheel was not in the same position as it was when I came home from getting my tail pipes fixed just a few hours before. Over the last year every time I wheeled the truck the steering wheel was a few more degrees off to the left to the point that it was almost a full 90 deg off center. This was one of the reasons I got the brace was I knew this was not due to the alingment of the front wheels getting wacked. I figured most was shifts in the springs. Well the brace took about 45deg of this out of it. I was pleasently surprised by this.
Now my truck has to be kept after when going down the road. I long ago wrote this off as a 25 year old truck with a worn steering box, No sway bar, 4 inches of lift. loosend up frame and mud tires. MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE. the truck actully feels much better just going down the road. Most of the wander is gone. I can't wait to see how it does on the hwy. At speed when you hit a bump the truck would dart right then you would correct and it would rebound and you would have to correct again. On a good bump it looked like a had a few to many I'm sure. My bet is most of this is gone from how much better it felt on surface streets.
This is a product that I can honestly say was better than I was expecting. It is really well worth doing not only to try to prevent frame damage but just to make the truck more drivable on the street. Next time I have some spare cash My wifes 79 Blazer is probably going to get one and it doesn't go on the trails anymore. Move this to the top of your want list. It was worth every penny. Tell them Grim sent ya.

Grim-Reaper
http://www.grimsk5s.coloradok5.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode