gas mileage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 07:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

gas mileage

I am looking for a good used 4x4 truck. I am not too picky, but I would like a truck that gets decent gas mileage so it could be a daily driver. I don't have a whole lot of money to work with, $5000 at the most. I like the older bodystyle 73-87. What engine should I look for in order to get good mileage and power? Diesel? Later fuel injected motor?
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 07:39 PM

Re: gas mileage

You cant expect to get much. The 87s get a little better mileage because they are fuel injected but they dont get very good. I have a 90 K5 Blazer and I only get about 10-11 but i have a heavy top and a heavy foot so maybe a 4x4 truck would get 11-12. This is just a guess but I think its probably about right. Also a diesel will get better mileage, and so will a 305 but i wouldn't recommend getting one. I will say that nobody has these trucks for their gas mileage, because it sucks. They are awesome trucks though, and I hope you find a good one.

90K5
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 09:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

an 87 would be your best bet for mileage from a gas engine. they have the Throttle Body Injected 350s. this is the same engine in my 89. on a recent 300 mile trip down the interstate, i got 17mpg which aint too bad for a truck with 160k miles. around town here i get around 12 but thats with city traffic

Mike ~
"The more I learn about women the more I like my TRUCK!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 10:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Your joking right?

haha thats funny! Well the best gass millage is going to be either the deisels or the FI trucks like a 90. A 90 with FI and OD will get you about 16 mpg the 90 is out of your price goals so on to the diesel. Not sure of the MPG. I hear things like 22 and you could get for $5k down here in Atlanta rust free. But the down side is they have a new set of problems like not wanting to start cold ect. For a pre 81 truck I see them all the time in fair shape for less that 5 k but your looking at 10-12 mpg at best since they don't have OD and FI. Down here you can pick up a fairly clean in those years for $4k and with the extra $1k you could put FI on it and maybe get 14mpg

Grim-Reaper
http://www.grimsk5s.coloradok5.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 12:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just bought my 85 K10 for $3,000. It has 160,000 on it, a 4" lift, aluminum wheels, 33x11.5 muds (which I replaced with AT's) and newer shocks. I have replaced the seat, dash, windshield, exhaust and misc. trim and am still under $4,000. It will need a new engine in a few years, but small blocks are cheap.

They are out there, it took several months to find mine. If I use the egg under the foot mentality I get 14 MPG. I could pay for a lot of gas at this rate vrs a truck payment. Also the insurance is much cheaper than my wife's 99 Tahoe.

I do have a really nice Nissan King Cab 720, no transmission, but all of the goodies for $500. But trust me chevy's are far superior!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

just take your time and look a lot, youll find one! i got my 89 which is PERFECT shape im talking not a scratch. it had 145k which aint bad for 10 years old. i got it for $5500. so im sure you could find an 87 which is the first year they had fuel injection for $5000. you will find a lot of bad ones first, as did i, but you will finally find the perfect one!

Mike ~
"The more I learn about women the more I like my TRUCK!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode