Power Steering Pump? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 08:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Power Steering Pump?

Alright, my power steering sucks when I slow down at a stop sign, or when I park it. Do I need to replace it clean it out or what? I have an '82 Chevy 3/4 ton. 4x4.
Thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 09:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Power Steering Pump?

is the belt tight enough?

<font color=red>'99 Silverado</font color=red> <font color=blue>'79 Blazer</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yup, its all tight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 10:37 PM

I assume the fluid goes up to the appropriate "full" mark?

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 11:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im not sure. Do you think it could be the fluid? I'm pretty sure my dad has checked it out though, he's a diesel mechanic. (He works on Caterpillars)

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 12:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i dunno, but mine does the same thing. never had a problem till about 6 months ago, i had problems with it, so i figured it was a pump going bad. me n dad replaced it, but the NAPA reman one was also bad (but it did a different thing). worked fine again till about 2 months ago, when i am at idle, like pulling into a parking spot, i have no power steering. i just dont feel like messing with it again, so i deal with it

Mike ~
"The more I learn about women the more I like my TRUCK!"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 07:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

mine was doing the same thing. what size tires do you have??? when i switched from 33's to 39's i couldnt steer unless i was going quick so i tightened the belt and it has been fine ever since. i used to not be able to turn the tires from beloww like 15 mph but now i can turn them sitting stilll and that is on a half ton.

MUDD_RAT: 1978 Chevy K-10 with dana 44 front, 12 bolt rear 350/350/203 running 15/39/15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 08:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how do you like your Baja Belted tires? I want to get some in 36x14.5x16. Are they worth the money? I know they look hella cool. Do you have a picture of your truck?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 06:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i like them not only do they look cool but i like the way they perform. as to are tyhey worth the money yes and no, if you are doing a lot of mudding then i would go with a swamper. but if trail riding, and sand is your thinmg then all the power to you get a set om mickeys. i my self think that the mickeys perfom perfecty fine in mud but most people will say that anything over 3 inches deep and the mickey clog up. but last weekend i was in some good 12inch deep mud and the mickeys crawled right through it. and then they backed up through it and went forward again well you know how that is.
and yes i do some pictures but i will have to e-mail them they are to big for the forum. so send me a privat message with your e-mail and i will send you some pics

MUDD_RAT: 1978 Chevy K-10 with dana 44 front, 12 bolt rear 350/350/203 running 15/39/15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 01:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey i had some trouble similer to yours. i put a trans cooler on the retun line for the Power sterring pump and fill it with mobil one syntic. now it dont wine and moves with one finger on the wheel. good luck.

If it has tits or tires it will give you trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode