Transmission Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Transmission Questions

I ran into a guy the other day that wanting to sell his engine and a Turbo 400, is that the same trany as the TH400? If it is how much work would it be to convert it over to a 4x4 tail shaft? and will it be posible if its has the POB (I think thats it) bolt patern? Right now its mated to a 1970 Caddy 500 engine that was just rebuilt. At the moment its still in his car which is a big ass Impala. Reason why he is wanting to get rid of the engine is because it has to much power for the car and already twisted the frame on the thing. He wants $1000 for the everything which seems to be pretty cheap and the engine sounds great!!!! What kind of mods can you do with the 500? and are parts still available for it?

Thanks....Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 06:11 PM

Re: Transmission Questions

Yes the "Turbo" 400 and the "TH"400 are just 2 different ways of saying the true name "Turbo Hydromatic" 400 the same holds true for the 350 version.

The reason he want to get rid of it sounds VERY fishy??? It does not have enough power to twist the frame of a impala! I don't care what has been done to it.
Caddy engines have alot of torque and work great for 4wheelin. But the price of parts are ridicules, if they are available at all.
For an engine it is really hard to beat a small or big block Chevy![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Though it sounds interesting I would "just say no"
Unless you are just building a rock crawler or something????

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I was already thinking about just a Chevy big block instead. I for one also thought this price was way way to cheap for the engine. I want something that there are going to be a ton of aftermarket parts for and that I can modify the way I want, not the way I have to because parts are limited.

Thanks.....Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 70 Caddy is the only Cad 500 worth havin'....this guy either doesn't know what he has, or he has run into the performance mod money problem...I'm surprised someone hasn't clued him to this motor...the BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) bolt pattern will not fit a Chevy engine...it would be a torque monster bone stock...it's lighter and smaller than a 454, and there are parts available such as headers, cam and intakes (stock 70 500 would be a beast with just headers)...$1000 is suspiciously cheap for the combo...if he twisted an Impala, something is rwong, or he abused something...it's intriguing (thinkin' Jeep flattie here), but I'd pass...just my opinion, I've been rwong before...JD

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 10:08 AM

I have been using a similar setup in my truck (500 Caddy/th400/Np205) for the past year now and couldn't be more pleased with the results. The 500 caddy is a torque monster bone stock and it's lighter and smaller than a BB chevy. You will have to notch the crossmember on the drivers side and fabricate some engine mounts to get it to fit but it's nothing to difficult. Also, I didn't hear anyone mention to check the oil pan...it needs to be a rear sump. Alot of these caddies are front sump and will not work for truck applications. There are tons of aftermarket parts available for these fine motors. Check out www.mts.simplenet.com or www.mts.simplenet.com/mts/Rides/green.html. for more information.

Sorry...I know I'm the FNG
I'm glad I found you guys and am looking forward to trading info in the future
Later
AJ

1980 Chevy 1-ton Crewcab, 4x4, 500cui CaddyPowered, Th400, Np205, Dana 60/14 bolt FF, 285/75/16...Work in Progress
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 07:05 PM
Mud in my Veins

The website BigBadCad gave you is the one that I was looking for. Give it some good thought before you dismiss it man. Good luck!

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 10:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the 70 eldo 500 was rated at i belive 440 hp and aprox 550 ft/lbs if i remember corectly.. the bigest ganes for the buck are headers (you need them anyways for the swap) and the edelbrock intake... so, your out 400 bucks for intake and headers.. the thing shuld get 15+ mpg and be able to pull just about any trailer. it heads stock will limit top end hp but theres enough flow there stock to make 500 hp at 5000-5200 rpm if they are a #915 casting... and after swaping to a aluminum intake and headers your only about 20-30 lbs heavyer than a stock small block! hhhhhhmmmmmmmm? 50 cubes more than a 454, 250 lbs less weight, alot more torque! thats enough to make me switch from my diesels.. oh, yha.. i forgot.. i did ... we swaped one into a grand wagoneer of all things!........ any questions feal free to ask..

WARNING: DRIVER HAS ATLEAST $50 WORTH OF AMUNITION!

-83 'yoda (soon to have a 4.3v6) 5.29, dual arb's, dual stock tcase, wagoneer springs, 35" sx's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode