4wd conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

4wd conversion

I am in the planning stages of a 4WD straight axle conversion for my 1995 Chevrolet fullsize 2wd pickup. I have everything figured out except for a few measuremnets I need. I need the front spring pad center to center width of the springs in an older model chevy 86 below straight axle truck and the distance from center of front spring hanger to center of rear spring hanger in the front. This is so I know where to place my spring hangers. I already have the center line marked on my frame. Just need to know where to stick the hangers. Also, any suggestions you may have on this project would be greatly appreciated. Also, in stock form on the older straight axle trucks, are the front and rear spring hangers on the front of the truck level front to back with each other or is one higher than the other and if so how many inches?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 03:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 4wd conversion

i just have one request for your project - take plenty of pics! this is a really cool conversion. plus, i know RyanB is planning on doing the same thing so he would like the pics but i think we would all be interested in seeing how it goes

Mike ~
"The more I learn about women the more I like my TRUCK!"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 05:22 PM
Veteran

When are you planing on doing this project? and do you have any idea how long its going to take you?

Like Mike said, someday I to am planing on doing the conversion but my truck will probably be the 90 2wd truck I have right now. I am more than likly going to be going with a GM Dana60 front and 14-bolt FF rear. 205 T-case, TH400/475 transmission and a big block to make the power. Lift wise I will only be running 35's and there will be about 6"+ in the rear and no lift up front. There won't be a front bumper so I won't have to worry about that rubbing and there will be some chopping of the fenders too. The back will be a SUPER HEAVY DUTY leaf spring pack that will handle tons of wieght and up front will be coils.

Well, thats most of what I am going to be doing with the truck, any more questions feel free to ask...Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Well, I am goinng to take plenty of pics. Probably start it around christmas since I will be on a 4 week break from college. Around December 15'th or so. I have everything planned out except the measurements I need which I posted on my orgional post. I plan on using GM Dana 60 front, Corp 14 bolt FF rear, ARB in front and Detroit in rear, NP205 and a 4L80E transmission. I was origionally planning n 5 link front and rear but figured I would loose to much ground clearance with the center secion in the frame that the links would tie into. I am using 4 inch springs in the front with Revolver shackle and 4 inch rear springs with shackle reversal and with Revolvers. With shackle reversal and 4 inch springs I will have 8" in rear. My front spring hangers will be 4 inches lower than rear so I will have a total of 8" in front and be able to use softer 4 inch spring to achieve the 8". I am getting all drivetrain equipment from Boyce Equipment. If you are going with no lift in front you will be having a major problem with the engine crossmember coming into contact with center section of Dana. With 8" lift I will have approx. 8 inches in between of dana and factory crossmember but I am going to build a tubular crossmember that is much shorter.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 07:45 PM
Veteran

ummmmm, havn't seen or heard of that problem in any of the other setups that I have seen like this. By the way, this truck will be for pulling and will see nothing other than a 300' track about 8-10 times a year. Im even considering running a spool in the rear and a locker up front, who know's maybe even a spool up front too seeing I will always be going straight anyway.

Good luck on the conversion though....Ryan

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

You mentioned you were going to use coils in the front. How are you going to attach your dana 60? Link setup?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 04:58 PM
Veteran

Im not totaly sure yet on how it all will work and I am probably going to be having someone else that has done alot of conversions do the work. This guy has built 3 trucks and he is pulling in all 3 classes and is on top of the Ontario circut, he know's what he is doing.

Ryan

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies and information so far but no one has answered my question about the measurements I need. Also, I was origionally planning on using revolver shackles in the rear along with my lift springs but I have started hearing bad things about them specifically about hill climbing. So, what can I use to increase the front and rear articulation of my truck. I will be using BDS 6" lift springs front and rear.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Also, I need to know what I need to make my 2wd 4L60E able to hook to an NP205 transfer case.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Also, on an older style non-lifted straight axle truck, what is the distance between the center section of the front axle and the closest thing on top of it that it could possibly hit? I figure with the planned lift I will have 6 inches above my dana 60. Is this sufficient?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode