Suburban - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Suburban

I'm new to this page and looking for a bit of help.
I'm getting ready to purchase a suburban (used). I want to get a pre 92. first off, of that body style which year is best? I'm seriously considering diesel, any big downfalls besides slow acceleration? Do they make suspension kits for 2wd? ....recommended transmission cooler?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 03:25 PM

Re: Suburban

87 to 91, very little changed! The entire drivetrain is basically the same, they have TBI fuel injection! and more horsepower than previous years.
The 87 & 88 grill has the over/under headlights, and the 89-91 are side by side. The interior has a couple small differences.
A couple notes about 89-91 Chevys, the chrome they used on the grill tends to bubble and peel.
Also the 89-91 had problems with the primer and their paint tends to flake off, (sometimes really badly[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]).
So these would be two things to look for when looking at those years.
As far as lift kits, I believe it is much more expensive to lift the 2wd? And you are better off with a 4X4 anyway![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
As far as Diesel's , I have no idea, I have never had one, or wanted one.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Tranny cooler, I recommend the Maxi-kool by Imperial, you can get the entire kit at checker auto for $40-$50.
Good Luck & Happy Hunting [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 05:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd go for as close to '91 as you can. And as Scooby says, get a 4x4, you won't regret it. And go for the diesel too. What can I say, but a good running 6.2L with less than $200 of mods to it will pull with a stock 350 (ok, acceleration still isn't 'quite' as good - if it bothers you, spend $1000 for a banks turbo and it sure will be). But load 'em down and it will pull far better. With fuel prices, the mileage can't be beat, especially when loaded or wheelin'. The older 6.2L's are simple and cheap to maintain too, contrary to popular belief. No electronics to fail when you are 200 miles into the bush either. I wouldn't trade my 6.2L for anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Alright, what kinda mods are we talking about? And when you say old 6.2 how old are we talking? I would definately prefer a 4x4, but there haven't been a whole bunch of them around. especially in diesel. there is an 86 454 3/4 ton for sale down the street from me for $4500 (2wd). the body is really clean and the interior is nice with the exception of the headliner. do you think i should keep looking or go with this one?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 10:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

check out big burbs suburban its for sal ejus tpost and ask him about it its awesome

CaLeB[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
RiVeR CiTy OfFrOaD
Grammar What Be That??
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I said old 6.2L I just meant 6.2L's in general, since they went to the 6.5TD in 1993. For a N/A 6.2L, the only worthwhile mods are opening up the air intake, installing free flowing mufflers, and giving the fuel maybe 1/16 turn. There are some other mods which will give a little more power, but they are not worth the $$$. If you still want more a turbo is the best bang for the buck. If you want power and are not worried about fuel mileage, buy the 454.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

diesel,
Thanks for the insight, I didn't end up getting the one down the street and I decided to hold out for a 4x4 diesel. When one come along for the right price, I'm gonna pick it up. I don't think the turbo is necessary, in so cal you cant get on the freeway doing any more than 30 mph anyways. ;-)

As for the Burb that was posted on the BBS, it's a little far and a bit over done for my taste. I'd end up spending more $$$ on it making it look stock (besides the lift that is). I don't want anything that pretty, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun!!! ;-)

I hope to get more use out of this site soon. Awhile back I was pretty regular on the Dodge site with my R/C, but that is long gone now. Sticking with Chevy from here on out.

Thanks for the help all
and if anyone knows of a 4x4 diesel burb within 150 miles of O.C. ('87 and up) lemme know. :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode