carbarator - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 02:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

carbarator

i have a 85 k5 with a 1979 350 witha quadrojet ,i want to replace the carb but dont know what carb to go with,by the way the 350 is stock.what are the prices of carb and where to get them.what size cfm should i be looking at i do mostly in town driving and would like to have decent gas mileage.thanks again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 09:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: carbarator

does the Q-jet work if so stick with it ther good carbs

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 02:46 PM
Pooh-Bah

I tried a couple of Quads B4. I stripped all the unnecessary crap from them, tuned and massaged, but I couldn't get them to perform like a Holley. I have a Holley 800 Dbl now and it gets as good of mileage as any of at least ten different carbs I've had. But out performs them all.
The Quad didn't do anything the Holley couldn't. For your rig I'd recommend the classic Holley 600, List #1850. Check them out at summitracing.com. Or a 600-750 Dbl if you want the extra performance of a Dbl. They don't get as good of mileage out of the box as a regular vacuum model, but that can be easily fixed.

Good luck

Chevota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 03:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 03:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got (2) 1180 Dominators I can sell you right off our Pro-Stock motor, for a substantial fee of course...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 03:55 PM
Pooh-Bah

dirty_dog:

Cool! I've been looking for a pair Dominators for my Corvair powered Dune-buggy.

Chevota
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 04:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Edelbrock performer 600cfm part #1406. I had to replace my old Qjet around christmas. The performer is the cheapest I could find, and the most simple. BE SURE TO USE THE EDELBROCK ADAPTER for your q-jet manifold. I tried the Mr. Gasket brand and had a huge dead spot when accelerating. I got the model with an electric choke but I have installed one with the mechanical choke on a friends truck and both of us are very pleased with them. I havent ever touched my ajustment screws since it came out of the box. I hear the edelbrock Q-jets are good, but from what I have seen not worth the extra $$. I have my base timing set to 11 degrees. I have a 76 model 350 in an 87 swb truck, GM aluminium intake, 4 speed w/o OD, 3.42 rear end gears, and worn out 32x11.50 mud tires. If I run between 50-60MPH on the highway I am getting around 14 MPG or better!! I checked mileage with a little city driving and WOT threw in and got 13.8 MPG on a 50 mile round trip. I have never checked local city driving, but I know its not 14. A PROPERLY WORKING Q-jet would probally do better, but those can be hard to come by. With mileage that good and a noticable power diffrence you cant go wrong with the performer. I took mine appart once to clean it out and that was very simple too. IMHO the only thing better is fuel injection. If my TBI swap works out, Ill post back on the diffrence.

Good Guys Wear Bow-Ties
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 04:10 PM
Veteran

If you decide to NOT go with dual 1180cfm dominators (well, if youŽre going to wind your 350 up to 22000 rpms you actually need those[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]) IŽd suggest a Edelbrock Q-jet. If you find them a bit on the pricey side (I do), then Edelbrocks Performer 600 could be something for you? I think Shaggy from this board has one of them. He could tell you about the pros and cons if he ever gets his Californian a$$ over here [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Andreas

If a Blazer runs smooth, it isnŽt really a Blazer[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode