frustrated at Blazer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 02:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

frustrated at Blazer

Im tired and K5 budget is coming to an end for this weekend. Ive replaced just about every sensor and emissions type switch and ignition componant and still nothing, I think the balencer is ok and the timing guage being off so much is do to what ever problem im having. I can get the truck to run great, idle and cruise down the highway even though it still takes several cranks to start it. But even though it runs great momentarely if it sits for to long ( running or not), it goes back into pile of sh!t mode and stalls out or idles real rough. At some point in time someone put an older style alternater on it, would this affect it? Im stumped and have no idea what to do. I make a payment on this pile of sh!t every month yet I cant drive the thing without screwing with it for an hour first. This is the first vehicle ive bought on time (im trying to build a little credit) and its been hell. I guess im not the first person to fall victim to little junk carlots on the bad side of town, but it will never happen again. I cant do much about it, its through a finance company so the lots already paid off. Ive only had the truck a couple months.

Is it possable to just get rid of the ECM and all the stupid sensers and slap a big fat Holley on it and still keep it Smog legal?
Anyone want to trade for a late 70s early 80s Blazer?

Maybe I should do just like that little old lady in the discount tire commercial and drive the thing through the lots front window!!!

JAG
Las Vegas NV

<font color=red> 90 X-Cab Toyota V6 5Speed, 4 inch procomp, 3 inch DC, 35x 12.50 BFG Baja's.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font color=red> 87 K5 Blazer Silverado Bone stock. The womans ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 11:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: frustrated at Blazer

Is there a "service engine soon" light coming on? If there is, you can check the codes and it could tell you what to look for. Also, you brought up the issue of an older style alternator that was installed on the vehicle. Have you checked to make sure that it is setup correctly and is providing a sufficient amount of charge and is the battery okay? The computer and sensors requires a certain amount of voltage to function correctly so it is not uncommon for a charging system problem to affect the performance of a computer controlled engine. Another thing that points me towards the charging system is that you say the problem occurs if the vehicle sits or idles for a long period time, but seems to run fine when actually driving it.....maybe the alternator isn't putting out enough juice at idle (too small of an alternator, or maybe the pulley is smaller)...or the battery is not holding a charge.

6.2Blazer
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What should I look for in the alternater? I replaced the the one that was on it with the same style, but its brand new and the other one looked like it had been on the truck for several years. Im so upset at this truck, i want to just burn it and use the insurance to pay it off.

I occasionally get a check engine light but for the most part it just flashes on then goes off, sometimes its a 42, sometimes its 34, I think it was mainly from me having the timing so far off just to keep it running.

Someone else suggested the timing chain might haved jumped. I worked on it this afternoon and got her torn down to the gears and chain but it doesnt look all that bad (no teeth missing) the chain has about 1/2 inch side to side play on the passanger side, is that OK? The drivers side of it is pretty well tight. Ill check tommarow to see if the marks on the gears and the 1#piston all match up like there supposed to.

Getting the oil pan down was a pain this thing, I thought american fullsize stuff was easier to work on then foregn metel
Doing the timing belt complete from start to finish on my pathfinder was so much easier then getting the Blazer just taken apart!

My earlier offer still stands, Anyone want to take a trip to Vegas and help me out, I have a spare room, nice shop to work in, lots of beer, big fat New York steaks, and a big screen for Monday night football. Even though im more upset at Football then at the Blazer, I dont think New England is gonna win a game this year, there playing like a bunch of girls!!! Drew Bledsoe has been sacked more times this season then hes played downs . The Pats need to get an offensive line otherwise that expensive QB is gonna look like Tyson got a hold of him.

Sorry about the football rant, there just irritating me to.

JAG
Las Vegas NV

<font color=red> 90 X-Cab Toyota V6 5Speed, 4 inch procomp, 3 inch DC, 35x 12.50 BFG Baja's.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font color=red> 87 K5 Blazer Silverado Bone stock. The womans ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 01:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey the offer sounds great except my '95 was running like crapp so I tore it out this weekend. I know what you mean it took me half a day just to get to the timing chain. Oh, well I'm at work late, bored, and waiting for drawings to print. Good luck on your project. I'll be thinking of you while I lay under my pain in the ass tomorrow.

Kris.

'95 K1500, 38" TSL, lots of lift and no motor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode