Ball joints and other fun stuff.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Ball joints and other fun stuff....

Okay, got as much done as I could today. Oil & oil filter, did the oxygen sensor yesterday, coolant temp sensor, lubed all the hinges, and lastly, put grease in the front drive shaft, the steering gear, tie rods, and the ball joints. I don't have the time now to do the differentials. Ran into two little things though.
1) Where do I get the socket to fit the factory skid plate for the transfer case? It's got what looks like a star key slot. 6 sided looking thing, kinda like an asterisk. Need to get that off to get to my transfer case.
2) The upper and lower ball joints. I honestly think that 4 Wheel Parts didn't lube sh%t when they installed my lift. Everything looks okay, but man, some of that stuff up front took all the grease I could pump in, then when it came out, it was all the purple Mobil 1 stuff I was putting in. So then my dad tells me to do my ball joints. So I do. Then I read that you aren't supposed to pump in so much that the grease comes out. Something about destroying the water tight seal. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Well, I did pump so much in the uppers that old grease did come out. Not so on the lowers, no matter how much I pumped I couldn't see any of it coming out. Will the grease coming out the upper ball joints really be a problem? I was always taught to just keep pumping the grease in until all the old grease came out. Hope I didn't do anything bad....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]......

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 01:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Ball joints and other fun stuff....

Andrew-

For the skidplate, torx sockets are needed. Home Depot has them, might as well buy a decent set if you can, you will need them sooner or later. As far as grease, as long as there is some there, and it comes out, then no worries. I don't understand how you could pump and pump but still no grease came out. Anyhoos, tell those Candyasses at Miramar to let you do more than 50. That's a joke. =)

Rhino

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Rhino, thanks for the advice, I will check out Home Depot and Sears my next off day.
Oh yeah, and it wasn't about them letting me do 50, it was about them not seeing me do 50, and running out of space. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 08:52 AM

.......take what you can get from the government........ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Shorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode