oxygen sensor? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 09:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

oxygen sensor?

I have been working on tuning my truck up latley so it is ready for winter. I have seen the other posts about maintence and started wondering about the oxygen sensor. I started to read the new fourwheeler yesterday, and I noticed the 8 east how tos. The first one was about the oxygen sensor, it stated that 70% of the vehicles in California that were tested had bad oxygen sensors. My question is how do you tell if it is worn out? My truck has near 137,000 miles. The last guy took pretty good care of it, but I don't know about this one. I have had it since April of 99 and at that time it had 117,000 miles and I didn't even think about it. The thought of 10-15% better gas mileage is appealing, so your advice is very much needed.

Eric Peterson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 12:00 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: oxygen sensor?

Norm, I just replaced the o2 sensor on my Blazer yesterday. REALLY easy. My truck has 88,000 miles on it, and I could tell mine needed replacing. O2 sensor was quite rusty (not that it matters, but you could tell it was the factory one). The only way to tell if it needs replacing is if you are getting worse mpg's than you think you should be. My truck should be around 13-14 mpg, and it was getting 10-11 mpg for the last year. Hopefully this should be the cure, because I have checked just about everything else.
Hopefully your truck has the single wire o2 sensor like mine does. If not, you have the 3 wire. Only real difference is that the 1 wire Bosch costs 24 bucks at AutoZone, and the 3 wire is like 54 or so. Still, for the amount of work, and the relatively low cost, it's worth it.
Oh yeah, and you may want to run the truck for like 3-5 minutes before you attempt to remove it. It just did not want to come out of the manifold on mine. Then I remembered that someone had said on here to run it for a few minutes. I ran it for like 3, and my buddy was able to get it off with just a little effort. Maybe a few more and it would have been easier. Just be careful to not burn yourself on the manifold. Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 12:09 PM

more than likely, its time for you to change out the O2 sensor. even though the truck was maintained, the carbon will still build up. you should see some improvement, especially on higher mileage vehicles. the computer takes readings for the air/fuel mixture by reading the carbon that blows through your exhaust. if the O2 sensor is pretty dirty, then the computer will keep reading that the exhaust is dirty, even though it might not be.

i went to work on my sensor trying to get it out, but it put up a good fight. i decided to leave it for another time. btw, how did all that maintenance stuff go AJM?

Shorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 12:15 PM
Mud in my Veins

Actually shorts, that's all we got to do yesterday. I had a late day at Enterprise, and my buddy had to go to a funeral early in the afternoon. By the time we got to the auto hobby shop here on base, we discovered that the place closes earlier on the weekends than it does on the week days. Hummph! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] So I snuck my truck out across the airfield to my shop here this morning. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] So as soon as I finish on here, I am going to spend my Sunday at work by working on my truck. Not a bad trade, eh? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 12:23 PM

hey, that sounds like a plan [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Shorts
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 12:29 PM
Mud in my Veins

From now on, when somebody says, "UGH, working on your truck again!", I can say, "I'm defending democracy." I dunno, kinda a stretch of logic, but that has never stopped me before. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode