skyjacker shock ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2000, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

skyjacker shock ?

I need shocks all around and would like RS 9000's[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] but just don't have $250+[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] to buy 4 them, so I was going to get the Skyjacker Softride Nirtos. I saw from a earlier post that the rancho 5000's seem stiff to many peolpe but the Skyjackers didn't have many compliants and seem to ride real smooth. I called 4Wheel Parts wholesale last night to order a set of the Nitros and the told dorks me I was wasting my money unless I bought rancho. I understand that Rancho 9000's are nice but as i said before I just can't afford them. Also, I have the factory quad shock mounts on the front but don't have quad shocks right now, would they be worth it. Another thing is that I have a diesel[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img],a winch[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img],and plan to add more lift(4" skyjacker)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] at a later date. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

<font color=blue>86DIESEL[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
'86 K10, 6.2 diesel, Jet T700, Flowmasters, BFG M/Ts</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2000, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: skyjacker shock ?

well i posted a few days ago that my buddy has softrides with his 4" procomp and the shocks are nice. never ridden in a truck with rs9000s so i cant compare though. i dont know about the quad setup im sure someone else will

Mike ~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Chevys Rule! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2000, 07:35 PM
Drew K1500

I have Ranchos and I am actually a little dissapointed with them. I havent really tried all the different brands out there but I dont think i will ever buy ranchos again. There alright but there are better out there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 02:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have heard many good things about the skyjacker nitro's. Also heard from many that the Rancho's are too stiff. Currently I run Black Diamond A/T's. I like them, they control the truck well and don't feel to harsh. I did keep the factory quads up front and if you have a winch and HD front bumper (I've got the 6.2L, warn 8274 winch and pretty heavy bumper as well) I would recommend keeping them. With four shocks upfront there is less heat build up in the shocks and you can use a softer valving but still have the damping. If you go with nitro's though, you can probably get away with only one front shock instead of two.

Keep in mind that if you lift the truck (mines got 4") then you'll need slightly longer shocks. Also, my buddies and I have found that the shocks they recommend for the rear of a 4" lifted truck are almost always too short (they end up almost fully extended just to install). We currently all run shocks for a 6" lift in the rear. Measure the eye to eye distance before you order shocks and have them match it up.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

When I was comparing different shocks and their features I ran across a parts# list on the Skyjacker website. Here is the url http://www.skyjacker.com/catalog/Sho...SubCategorey=8. I noticed that for my truck they have a nitro shock that fits application with 2"- 5" lift. I currently have an uknown 2" or close aftermarket spring along with an add-a-leaf to reduce the sag of the spring(on the truck when I bought it). I figured if I got this application I could use it now and when I get a lift in the future. As for the rear it is stock and I was going to order the 0"-2" nitro shocks for it, and replace them with longer ones when I get the lift. At the NTB in Charleston there is a guy with '83-'84GMC w/ a 4" Skyjacker and it had the Hydros on it and they seemed to look like a good shock(at least on the outside). Thats the only truck I've noticed with Skyjacker shocks, never see the guy who owns it so I can talk to him.

<font color=purple>diesel</font color=purple>--- does your 4" lift sag any under all the (IMO necessary)weight. I was thinking about installing a 4" lift, but with all the weight I was debating on how to get the slightly nose high stance that I have right now[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. Maybe 6"front-4"rear[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. I have a pic of my truck on my profile now if you want to take a look at, not much to look at now though[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

Thanks for all the help ya'll[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>86DIESEL[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
'86 K10, 6.2 diesel, Jet T700, Flowmasters, BFG M/Ts</font color=blue>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 02:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi 86diesel, I sent you a private email with a pic because I can't seem to post it here.
No the truck doesn't sag. When I lifted it I purchased Rancho Heavy Duty front springs p/n 40054S. They do not ride hard - besides, its a 3/4T truck anyway. But they handle the extra weight perfectly. The lift kits generally level the trucks out. Which seems to be what most want. So, no, don't use a 6" in the front, it will be way too high. Personally I like the rear about 1.5 inches higher than the front so that when I put 2400lbs into the box, the truck sits level. But thats me.

Your shocks sound like they will work fine - although, I would suggest just using regular shocks on the rear for now (unless you carry alot of weight), and get the nitros when you lift it. They are pretty expensive. My 0.02.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2000, 11:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go and put on Trailmaster shocks. They are not so expensive and they ride great. Got them on my '98 Z71

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode