D*mn chevy valve covers... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 04:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

D*mn chevy valve covers...

Trying (again) to fix my leaky covers. I have a set of stock (pre-centerbolt) covers that seem to be strait as I can get them with a hammer and a strait edge. I have a set of cork (free)gaskets and the aftermarket wide hold down strips. What kind of sealer do you guys recomend and how much should I put on? On both sides?
Thanks,
Mike

Good Guys Wear Bow-Ties
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 04:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: D*mn chevy valve covers...

A little bit of Blue RTV might help on the top side. I had trouble with some valve covers for a while. I finally got sick of loosing oil, and bought some rubber gaskets, and elelbrock bars and hold downs. This fixed the problem with NO RTV!! ALso, the rubber gaskets won't dry up and stick to the valve cover and can be re-used.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 04:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I got my new Edelbrock valve covers I used orange RTV on the valve cover flange and a light coat of oil or grease on the cylinder head. They have been leak free for nearly 7 months. I also used the wide hold downs that were used on the 84-86 305s and 350s.

I <font color=red>REALLY</font color=red> believe myself when I say things like "I'm not going to anything else to the Jimmy." [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast

I'm running edelbrock alloy valve covers on my 327 and a soft rubber seal, no RTV. I've had them off and on a couple dozen times on the one side and still no leaks

Not sure where I got the gaskets but they are a really soft rubber, about twice as thick as most other ones and you can use them over and over...where did I find them?

Luke

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 08:37 AM
Pooh-Bah

I finally found the solution without sealer: X-tra thick Chevy performance valve covers from Summit. Steel reinforced rubber gaskets from Speedway. 1/4" thich spring tempered hold-downs from A&A Mfg.

Summit 800-230-3030
Speedway 474-4411
A&A 800-473-1730

Chevota
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 06:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Either get a set of rubber gaskets from Fel Pro, or use RTV. I have used grey RTV and it rocks! However, currently on my 94, I just have the rubber gaskets. These are centerbolt covers, which in my opinion suck, I would rather have the old style. Easier to equal the pressure by using the holddown bars.

Rhino

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode