Y Pipe - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 10:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Y Pipe

Well on the 90 Chev the Y pipe is almost all shot. For the past couple months been driving with a hole in the pipe and I think it's finally gone. I know it takes alot of work to change one but I figure I'm going to try it. It can be off the road for a month if needed. Has anyone done this and if so what all did you run into and got any tips??
My plan is to take the impact to the bolts, prob break them, then cut/unhook it from the bottom. After that I'll have to re-tap the manifolds so I'll just take them off, clean then up a little, then bolt it all back together. Of course it won't work out this way but that's my plan. Sound good?
Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 10:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Y Pipe

Hey, Have you ever heard of PB blaster around here you can get it at wal-mart this stuff is great I used it on mine its a 88 and mine came right off though I wet it down the night before.

88 1500 4X4 6 in. SUPERLIFT, 35X12.50BFG AT

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 10:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What is PB blaster? I'll look at the local wal-mart around here. Any tips on the task?
thanks again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 12:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Its like a super wd-40 that works great if you have a saws-all this makes a clean cut, I assume that you are anly reeplaceing the y pipe.

88 1500 4X4 6 in. SUPERLIFT, 35X12.50BFG AT

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 06:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes I plan to only replace the Y pipe for now.
I will look for that stuff. Thanks

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 03:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Changing the ypipe is actually easier than you think. I think they are 13mm or 1/2" bolts. Count on using a cut off tool or die grinder to get them off. As far as the welding...there is a flange right past the Catyltic converter. Unbolt it from there...take it down...and take it to a welding shop with the new ypipe. JBA sells a pipe to go with their headers, or you can have one made. Good luck.

Rhino

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode