Reliability of 4.3 L V6 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 10:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Reliability of 4.3 L V6

Hi. I just traded in my 85 Ramcharger with a 318 for a 98 Chevy Cheyenne with a 4.3 L. The Ramcharger had over 242000 miles on it and was still going strong, with no major engine repairs. How long can I expect the V6 to last? Are there any major problems that need to be addressed for it? I'm new to Chevy; and honestly, I don't know that much about their engines. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 10:15 PM
Veteran

Re: Reliability of 4.3 L V6

my dad had a 92 S10 Blazer with a 4.3L and it had almost 200K on it when he sold it and it lived its whole live up to that time with out any engine problems and went threw a starter and 2 alternators. Take care of it, do regular oil changes and it should last you well over 200K. As for Chevy/GM engines in particular there great. I bought a 90 2wd truck with a 305 in it just over a month ago and its has almost 285,000 miles (486 KMS) on it and its still running strong. I bought it off the original owner as a trade in at the dealership where he bought it new and had ever single service check done on it there. I know many guys with 350's that are pussing 300K and just starting to burn oil and a cab driver I know in town has a 305 in his caprice and he has 450 miles on it with out a problem ( he changes his oil weekly)

All in all there a great engine and it should keep you going for a long time to come.

Oh yeah....welcome to Chevy and GM!!!! the best Trucks on the Market!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck...Ryan

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 12:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldn't really care too much about worrying if the Chevy engine is good as much as the MAINTENENCE that has been performed on it. Every truck co. makes great motors otherwise they wouldn't be in buisiness, and Chevy has a great reputation for good motors. Ryan B was correct on keeping up with fluid changes and regular maintenence, these are truely the most important things in protecting your engines life. You should have no problems with your truck if it has been well taken care of.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 12:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

4.3 is basically a 350 with 2 cyls. removed oil pump and timing chain will interchange my dad also has one with almost 200,000 no problems yet good maintance helps though

88 1500 4X4 6 in. SUPERLIFT, 35X12.50BFG AT

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 12:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, maintenence......maintenence......maintenence..... ....as long as you don't neglect it, it won't let you down. Your 4.3 is basicly the same as a 350, just without the back 2 cylinders. It even uses the same pistons as the 350. It will go 200k and then some easily if taken care of. Although, I disagree that "every truck company makes great motors". I wish that was true, but it just isn't. Good luck and remember..........

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=black> It's<font color=orange> not<font color=black> what<font color=orange> you<font color=black> BUY<font color=black>.....<font color=orange> It's<font color=black> what<font color=orange> you<font color=black> BUILD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode