K5 Blazer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 01:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

K5 Blazer

Hey all, I have a 85 K5 blazer 4x4. I'm selling my other truck ( LIL ZILLA) to have some money to redo
my blazer.I was thinking about going with a 12'' suspension lift.Now the question is can I run 18/39.5/15
Super Swamper boggers on 15x14 wheel?Would I need a 3'' body lift also? Or will the 12'' be enough room?
What kind of gearing shoud I do with these tires? 4.56,4.88,5.38? Thanks in advance.Oh yeah, anyone interested
in buying my 97 S-10 4x4?Its show truck material!$17,000

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-195900-Truck2.jpg (33.5 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 05:18 PM

Re: K5 Blazer

You building a trailer queen or what? 12" is awfully hard to pull off on a Blazer, driveline angles are just too severe. 8" lift is about the max for the susp, add a 3" body lift and some fender trimming and you should fit the 39s pretty easily. You'll have to wear a mouthguard while you're driving to keep from knocking out your teeth from the bonejarring ride, and you'll have to upgrade to 1-ton running gear to keep from constantly snapping axles. There are quite a few other things that would need to be done to make this lift and tire combo actually drivable. Good luck!

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 06:15 PM

12" Suspension on a blazer! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Yeah the term "Trailer Queen" does come to mind, also "Flatlander", or should we say "Pavement Princess". [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
You have to remember the Blazer has a very short wheelbase!
Actually I would think you could pull it off with 6" suspension, 3" body, and some aggressive fender cutting.
The SAWZALL is your friend![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] at least this way it would still be a functional 4x4! you will need a 14bFF rear axle a D60 front, and a bigblock wouldn't hurt!

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 06:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree. Stay with minimum lift and cut the body. Here's mine cut on the front which should easily clear 38's with a 6" lift. With a 1" body lift, I don't see why 39" tires wouldn't fit.

This will also help center of gravity. Definitly go with the larger axles if your heart is set on those tires. I'd also suggest a 14 bolt and Dana 60 front. The Dana 60 is way overpriced for used and outragous for a new. Your best option is buying a complete single wheel 1 ton 4x (GM) and swap the axles, t-case, maybe the trans and sell the truck after the swap with the Blazers drivetrain. 10 bolts are notorious on breaking with large tires. Just remember- do it once and do it right.

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 06:48 PM

Hey Scoob, I originally thought 6" too, but the 18" wide Boggers made me jump to 8". That's alot of tire to stuff under the fenders with a 6+3" lift.

Shawn, you know that my fenders are cut like yours, and the 38s don't quite fit without some rubbing. They rub enough that I've sacrificed some rubber chunks to the fenders. If I were to add a 2" body lift I think they would clear most of the time, but 39 x 18s? I say he's gonna have to have at least 10" of total lift to clear that.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 06:53 PM

That's easy, you don't stuff them "under" the fender you just "remove" the fender. like Shawn did![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Shawn, I don't know if I ever said it before, but that is one sweeeeet ride you've got there![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 07:01 PM
Veteran

Humm....Iīve run 44" Gumbos with 5" of lift at the springs and 4" at the body. Yeah, the fenders were cut some.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Andreas

If a Blazer runs smooth, it isnīt really a Blazer[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 07:08 PM

4" of body lift is downright scary, Andy. Did you ever get that thing flexed up, or did you just use it in mud? That's another thing that we should consider when we suggest what lift that Zilla should run. Lil Zilla, what type of wheeling do you do? Do you need the suspension to flex up real well, or are you just blasting through mud?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 07:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, I think you're right Shaggy. Maybe an 8" susp. with 2-3" body lift? A sway bar attached and poly bump stops would help save the body. Like you said, depends what he wants to do with it. I hate lifting a K5 past 8".

Thanks Scooby!

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 07:22 PM
Veteran

Andy? Me? Ok![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Itīs been flexed up alright. See, the bodylift is homemade. Big chunks of thick square steel"pipes" and 16mm (0.63 inch) bolts are holding it all together. Probably a good deal stronger than stock.

Andy (hahaha)

If a Blazer runs smooth, it isnīt really a Blazer[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode