305headson350v-tec - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 11:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

305headson350v-tec

i have a 96 350vortec and was wondering if there are any other heads interchangeable that would increase horsepower?
like maybe 305 heads off a 93 305...just wondering...
jpc

Night is just air painted a different color.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 07:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 305headson350v-tec

There are heads that could increase the power of the 96 350 Vortec like the Fast Burn Heads offered by Chevrolet. The Vortec head has a new design intake manifold bolting pattern. The Vortec uses only 8 bolts, while the older intake manifold design before 96 use 12 bolts. There are several things that can interchange between older and newer Small Block Chevy engines, the Vortec intake manifold is not interchangeable to the older heads. The 93 305 heads would bolt onto a 96 350 Vortec engine block, but the 96 350 Vortec intake manifold would not bolt onto the 93 305 heads.
dave

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 12:30 PM

Leave your heads alone! You already have great heads!
There are about 100 different things you can mess with for more power, before you should ever even consider touching your heads!
Just do your catback exhaust that I know you have planned, and do a cold air K&N filter setup, if you still want more do headers, then regear, gears will be your biggest gain! 4.11 should be good! when your done with all these things then we will talk cams[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 03:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Scooby-doo is 100% right - your heads are more than enough to produce lots of power in the rpm range you need it in. Do the mods he mentions, then think about the cam shaft. Like he says- gears are the biggest bang for the buck.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sounds good...how much do you think it would be to regear to 4.10's? and tel me more about the k&n cold air thing...much obliged.
jpc

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 10:04 PM
Veteran

I too totally agree with Scooby. If I can offer one other little hint of advice. If your changing gears in your truck you should forget about changing gears in your 10-bolt rear end and find a 14-bolt SM thats already set up with 4:10's. A great number of these axles came stock with 4:10s so you won't have to worry about doing a gear chance on the new axle. All you will have to do is take off the 10 bolt and bolt the 14bolt right up. All you will need is a special U-joint because you will still have your 1/2 ton drive shaft. By doing this your are adding strenght to your drive train and getting ready for larger tires which I am sure you want already and at the same time being able to keep your 6-lug wheels. Then all you will have to do is just do the gear change in your front diff.

I know a little about this whole thing because I did it to my Sport last year after I threw on my 35's. I went with 4:10's too because I have a 5-speed and you don't need the lower ratio for it. I now have more power than stock and I can do a burn out like never before (if I want to [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])

Good luck...Its well worth the extra money to do it now.

Ryan

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how much mula? would i need to get a pro to do the axle change?...thank ya lots

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 06:34 PM
Veteran

No, you should be able to do it your self if you have the right tools for the job and a couple Jack stands. One thing you might actually want to check out is weather or not your half ton already has the 14-bolt SM. I know up here in Ontario there are alot of Ext-cabs that came stock with them and a couple of reg cab long and short boxes. These trucks are refered to as a heavy half ton and if yours has it your all set. As for the price it all depends. Call up so local auto wreckers asking for one. They came off 3/4 ton 6-lug trucks and all the GM 3/4 ton vans have this axle. I paid $1800 CDN (1200US)for mine and it was rebuilt with new everything. Find one thats set up with 4:10's and you can save alot of money.

Good luck...Ryan

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Vortec heads are the best thing since 882's for the $$$ right now. I would stick with the heads, and do 1.6 ratio rockers. Crower sells a set that is stainless steel. Very nice. I would also do headers (JBA) and an exhaust. If you really want to change things, get a supercharger. The vortec heads are LT-1 port design with a 64cc chamber. They are what everyone is putting on their hot rod motors because they flow so well for a factory head.

Rhino

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode