Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   Anyway ever go to Truck Pulls? (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/35281-anyway-ever-go-truck-pulls.html)

RyanB 08-20-2000 10:50 PM

Anyway ever go to Truck Pulls?

1 Attachment(s)
I just went to my 5th pull of the season and after last night I am totally addicted to the sport. Last night I was helping out, I was driving the packer for 8 hours so I had basically front row seats the hole night and still had time to jump off my tractor and go and talk to all the pullers and get some info. I have now been able to talk to a ton of guys and women and have gotten alot of information on how every thing involved in there trucks work.

Anyway, I really think now that this is the "off-roading" sport I want to get into some day. I have been to both Mud Bogs now and truck pulls and I seem to like the pulls alot more. To me there is alot more exitment in the pulls and there are way more people in the stands cheering on the trucks. Now as far as the class I think I would want to get into it would probably be the Super Stock 4x4's. I have atached the class rules for the Super Stock below...

Any vehicles competing in this class must comply with all Super Stock 6000lb 4x4 rules

Aftermarket intake manifolds, carburetors and headers are allowed.
Must be naturally aspirated with single carburetor (venturi type). No fuel injection and alcohol is allowed.
Inside the frame headers, Pipes must exit at the rear of the cab. Outside the frame headers can exit straight behind the cab or turn downs be directed within two feet of the outside of the body of the vehicle. Vertical headers must be within 10 degrees of plumb.
Weight boxes or weight bars must be securely fastened. No portion of the weights to extend forward more than 60" from the centerline of front wheel.
Lateral bars are only allowed on leaf-type suspension. Coil suspension must have coil located over the center line of axle with radius arms not to exceed 30 inches in length. No scissor type frame allowed. All trucks must have a working suspension.
Hitch to be rigid in all directions to the frame only, height to be a maximum of 24" from the top of the hitching device to the ground. Hitch length must be a minimum of 34% of the wheelbase, [and measured from the centreline of the rear axle to the hook point.]
Engines. stock type or solid engine mounts can be used. If stock type mounts are used a [3/8"] engine chain is required on drivers side only. The centerline of the #2 sparkplug hole on drivers side must not exceed over the centre of the front axle.
No aluminum blocks or heads. [cast only]
Drop box transfercases are not allowed. Production type transmission and transfer case only.
Tires must be stamped D.O.T. not cut or shaved in any way. No bar or tractor lug design allowed.
Tires must be maximum 35 inches in diameter.
Limited to 526 cubic inch engine.

Sounds like alot of rules but its not that bad. About the same mods you would want to do to a bogger. One thing with the pullers is that there is no lift in the front. Most of the guys run 35" tires at stock height by taking off the front bumper and doing some cutting. By doing this you get more weight to the ground.

I have atached a pic of Dale's truck ( the one guy I have got to know pretty well) His truck is a 98 GM reg-cab long box. Its got a 14-bolt FF rear,D60 thats coil sprung up front, 1 ton tranny and T-case and is running a 511ci engine on alcohol that puts out close to 1500 HP.

RyanB 08-20-2000 10:59 PM

Re: Anyway ever go to Truck Pulls?

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of Dales other truck Exiter that is in the Modified 4x4 class that has these rules to go by. There are a ton of rules in this class and all the trucks have a huge amount of money tied up into them. He says his is pushing 100K right now and unfortunatly last night he droped a rod and sent it right out the oil pan. His engine in that truck is a 630ci blown on alcohol. Its a trully amazing truck.

Weights & weight bars must be securely mounted. Weights to be no more than 60" from centre line of front axle.
The maximum hitch height is 26". Hitch must be rigid in all directions. Clevises are NOT allowed.
Hitch length is to be 36% of wheelbase, NO LESS.
Front axle hubs are to have protective covers.
Rear axle bolts are to have protective covers.
Driveshaft loops. 3 per driveshaft; minimum length 1" ; minimum thickness 1/4". Loops must cover the entire length of yokes & U-joints.
All trucks must have a working fire extinguisher ( 2 1/2 lb. ABC or 1 1/2 lb. Halon ) convenient To Driver.
All doors & hoods to be functional.
Fire suits are mandatory.
At no time will truck be left alone while running.
Engine displacement 650 cid maximum. No blowers, naturally aspirated only.
MOTOR.
SFI approved balancer preferred, otherwise need a shield to cover entire balancer circumference; minimum thickness 1/4" steel or 3/8" aluminum; minimum width 1".
Engine shields to be minimum thickness of 16 gauge; to cover length of block from top of oil pan to bottom of head.
2 solid mounts with no rubber mounts on engine.
Throttle return springs, 2 per carburetor, mounted on the carburetor not the linkage with 1 spring pulling either way.
Headers to be vertical only.
Standard Transmission: Bellhousing SFI approved or Lakewood Steel flywheel preferred.
Automatic Transmission: Must have scatter blanket to cover entire transmission.
Safety items
Rear kill switch and back-up lights mandatory.
No gas tanks in the cab compartment.
Helmets must be worn by all drivers when making their pull. Anyone not wearing one will be disqualified.
Tires to be maximum 34" diameter. Maximum width of rims 18". NO duals. Bar tires only.
No front tinted windows.
Rear boat bumpers to be 24" from the ground and 8" high.
Solid rear suspension only.
All trucks must comply with all safety rules stated here. No truck may bump up into class without complying with these rules.
Lap belts must be worn during pull. Original equipment belts are satisfactory.
Tech. man supplied by the pullers & he will be on the track during pulls of this class.
Only fuels allowed are gas and alcohol.
No floating finish except in pull off only.
Pullers will pull on honour system for weight, with off site scales.
Pay schedule; Cheques must be made out to Southern Ontario Modified Truck Pullers.

**DONOTDELETE** 08-22-2000 10:11 PM

Good for you Ryan!!

I like going to both also. I do prefer the pulls and have driven in them before. Hopefully one day I will get my 1 ton back together and pull with it.

I notice in your rules it stated only DOT tires, and no bar tread. We had a HUGE contraversy about that here that involved my brother!! He had just purchased a set of 33" Boggers for pulling and bogging,,, yes he does both with the same truck. They had a meeting with the drivers because some of them were complaining because we had Boggers. We stated that they are DOT legal and anybody can go out and purchase them,, not just us!! The rule committee decided that if none of the drivers complained about while we were at the meeting that we could run them. I knew none of the chicken sh--- would say anything while we were present,, hehe!! While we were walking away one of the drivers ( we dislike) said " I hope they work out because of all the bitchen". We didn't say anthing to him,, but after we won the pull we told him LOL.

I am going to one this weekend.

Good luck, RedDog

**DONOTDELETE** 08-22-2000 10:18 PM

By the way, Ryan. Have you ever seen this truck before? He is close to me,, so yes I have seen it. I like the picture.
Later, RedDog

http://www.enterpriseengine.com/

RyanB 08-23-2000 05:27 PM

No I haven't seen that truck and in fact I have yet to see a deisel truck pull. Not even sure if they are aloud to pull up here unless there stock. As for how you were talking about the boggers. The DOT tires must be non Bar Tread type so that puts out the boggers. Now in the modified classes you are aloud to run cut tires not sure what kind they are though but they look more like a sand paddle tire than anything else.

And one other thing, are there alot of pulls in your area? and if so how big?

Ryan

**DONOTDELETE** 08-23-2000 07:06 PM

those are some bad trucks, ryan. just one question though - the second truck Exciter you said has a blown alcohol engine but the rules you put down say NO BLOWN ENGINES?? just curious as to the conflict. ive never been to one of these but would love to go. i dont know of any around this area though [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Mike ~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Chevys Rule! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

RyanB 08-23-2000 09:41 PM

Actually you have a point Mike. Exiter isn't blown as I thought it was ( you can tell by looking at the picture of then truck and only seeing the air filter up top). I think the reason I got it all mixed up because in the Modified 2WD class you are alowed to have blowers on them. Which I have to say, these trucks are trully amazing. Nothing in truck pulls pull like the 2wd trucks.

Sorry about the wrong information.

Ryan

**DONOTDELETE** 08-23-2000 10:44 PM

We have many pulls around here!! The county next to me has about a dozen of them a year. Virtually all of the county fairs around central Ohio have them.

We were only allowed to run the Boggers that one time. I feel that rule needs to be changed,,, next they will outlaw Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. I feel that if they have a DOT sticker on them and they haven't been altered,, then run them!!

We have diesel classes, small block cheater stock, and big block cheater stock ( basically is stock with a little cheaten,,, hense the name). Pro Stock and sometimes Modified Stock. The big blocks also compete with the Diesels,, which gets pretty interesting. I think that they are going to have to have a wheel base class because most of the diesels are extended cabs and the gassers are older straight axle regular cabs. The extended cab wheelbase, plus the diesel motor weight gives them a big advantage.

I am curious about the tire size you mentioned,,,, " tires must be a maximum of 35". We don't have tire size rules.

I am Diehard Chevy,, but the Diesel class is owned by Dodge!! 6.5's and Powerstrokes just can't compete with the " turned up Dodges" around here.

Later, RedDog

RyanB 08-24-2000 09:11 PM

Yeah, 35" tires are max for the Super Stock trucks and in the Modifeds they all seen to run shorter tires than that but alot wider. There almost like tires off a drag car only with huge amounts of tread on them. Now even sure what kind they are to tell you the truth. I only wish we had diesels up here running in your events. Even in the stock 4x4 class diesels aren't aloud and they only trucks that really pull away from everyone else are the big Dodges with the V10. I can't wait to see what happens now with GMs big Big Block.

Anyone else have anything else to add about truck pulls? They are said to be America's fastest growing Automotive event right now. Here in ontario there is actually a huge circut thats going on and I where is the web site for it just not sure how to make it clickable (hint hint SandMan[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img])

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5675

Shaggy 08-24-2000 09:53 PM

I'm not the Sandman, but I'll help out here Ryan...

Just type (url)http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5675(/url), except use [ ] instead of ( ). You'll get this... http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5675. If you want to get real fancy you could do this...Ryan's truck pull link. I'll show you how to do that one too if you want. There's a way to make pictures clicky too, like the biohazard logo in my sig.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>
http://www.rps.net/PICS/stuff/biohazard.gif