700R4 electrical connector - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

700R4 electrical connector

I'm putting a 700R4 transmission and NP208 t-case (or NP205, can't remember)into an 83 blazer that previously had an SM465 4speed and a cast iron transfer case. I dont' think this is the original equipment because there is a column shifter setup and the display for the gear selection. It says "automatic overdrive", so I think the 700R4 was the original tranny. Question is, where would the original electrical connector from the truck be found, assuming it wasn't cut off?

I found a 4prong connector that looks like a trailer wiring kit coming out of the firewall by the transmission, and there was also a 2prong connector taped to it that looks like the connector on this t-case. There are also two single prong connectors taped to it. Is this what those connectors go to? Since they aren't hooked to anything, I'm assuming that's what they are. If so, how could I convert the trailer connector looking thing to a square 4prong like on the transmission?

I know B&M sells a kit to convert most vehicle to the 700r4, but I'd like to use the original wiring if possible.

by the way, what is that connector on the t-case? just a 4wd indicator?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 02:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 700R4 electrical connector

I don't know direct answers to your connector questions, but I would suggest that you look into the Painless Wiring kit that makes the 700r4 a closed loop system that controls lock-up and shift points with out computer inputs. This will make the installation a bit easier and reliability significantly better since you will not have to deal with 17+ year old electrical parts such as lock-up controls. The kit costs about $125 and should be easy enough to install by yourself.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 05:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don`t buy the kit it`s to much money for only a switch.
The TH700R4 is not computer controlled the only thing what is controlled by the ECM (computer) is lock-up. So if you buy a $5 switch and make your own wire from the transmission to the switch you van control the lock-up in 1 first till 3 gear manual in overdrive the transmission overrides lock-up control. The other wires are on the TH700R4 are for reverse light.

Greetings from Amsterdam,

River `90 K5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Well, I'll consider these two options. THe only problem with making my own switch is that I don't have a connector to plug into the transmission and I dont' have a diagram of which wire does what. Also, don't I need to wire into the brake light circuit to turn off the lockup when the truck stops? I'm going to do some wire testing on those connectors i found in the truck to see if they have a 12v signal.

One more thing, if this vehicle originally had a 700r4, wouldn't there be a computer controller for it somewhere?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 08:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey glad to see someone eles has my problem. what would happen if you dont use the lock-up? also for the switch do you only need to apply volts or remove them when you want it locked? and when do i want it locked up?

Thanks

Jerrod
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Jerrod, I would highly recommend that you visit this page:
http://smokemup.com/tech/transmission/700r4/700r4.cfm
It has a wiring diagram for the connection. Basically, if you give the transmission 12v on pin A (I'm not sure which one that is yet) then it can lockup, but if the connection is cut then it will not lockup. So, to me, it seems that if you just didn't hook anything to it at all, then the only problem that you'd have is a little worse gas mileage at highway speeds due to the slippage. THis guy has a diagram, and that's basically what I get out of it. I guess B and C(with the connector from GM that the guy on this page says to use) on the tranny go to reverse lights, and A is a 12v and D is a ground for the lockup system.
NOt 100% sure, but that's how it sounds to me. Read the page and tell me your translation of it. Hope that helps, I'm going to a dealership tomorrow to pickup that wiring harness.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When you are towing and driving on the highway then you want lockup in third gear. Because when you lock it their will be no slippage so less heat building up longer tranny life certainly for the TH700R4. In overdrive the transmission will hydrolic override the electrical lock up but don`t use overdive when towing.

Greetings from Amsterdam,

River `90 K5 silverado

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode