Loud exhaust - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 01:04 AM

Re: Loud exhaust

Since you didn't ask any further questions or comment on any posts made thus far, I'll stick to my original post above.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am surprised about all the negative feed back I have been getting out of you guys!! What happened to trying to squeeze every ounce of power and torque out of your machines? The main reason that I am getting the loud pipes is to stand up to all those old rusted out chevy's running around town with straight pipes!!!

78 CJ5/360
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 11:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Now now, no need to start saying stuff about "rusted out" chevy's. We here on the chevy boards will tell ya what we think, it just happens that although we all want to have our trucks running strong we still are all for the most part still considerate of others, both on and off the trails.

Ryan

-I shoulda been a cowboy-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 11:45 PM

miscellaneous ramblings...

Oh, well if you're going to use your Jeep to drag race from stoplight to stoplight then sure, they'll work great[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]! Personally, if I wanted to race around on the streets I would use a sports car! Like tough-trucks said, good choice on the headers, the small primarys help out with the torque.

However, I say once again - who says that you need to be loud in order to be fast? Do you want to annoy those rusted out Chevys with straight pipes, or do you want to beat them? Is this some kind of continuation of the commonly held common import racer belief that
yellow = fast? For Jeeps does annoyingly loud exhaust = fast?

Do you ever take your Jeeps out on trails? If you do, I guess you aren't concerned about the annoyance factor that your ultra-loud exhaust is going to have for the other people out there.

If your engine is not a full-on drag race motor, there is no need for "race" exhaust. It won't give you any more power, it'll just bug the people around you. And eventually it'll bug you too.
I hope you have some nice mods done to your engine in the way of a hotter cam and such, nothing amuses me more than somebody driving around in a car/truck/whatever with ultraloud exhaust bolted on to a stock motor. Real car guys can tell the difference between a stock engine with loud exhaust and an engine that's got the balls to back up the sound. You can hear the "lope" of the cam. <font color=red>
Stock engine with loud exhaust = poser.
Built engine with loud exhaust = pretty [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img].
Built engine with "sleeper" exhaust = [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Built engine with exhaust loud enough to let you know that it's got some balls = the [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]est. </font color=red>
(All my opinions, by the way, probably no one else here shares them[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].)

Good luck with it though, to each his own, and far be it from me try to stop you from doing what you want to your own vehicle. Generally I won't get involved in things like peoples choices for exhaust, since everybody has their own idea of what sounds good, but since you asked for opinions, you got them. Sorry for the negative response, but you can't expect everyone to agree with you.

By the way, plenty of people think that my truck is way too loud, and I have 3 chamber flowmasters on it.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 06:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: miscellaneous ramblings...

By comparison some people say my Jimmy is too loud and I only run some cheap Flowtech headers, 2" pipes and cheap flowtech Raptor mufflers all the way out the stock location. I would still like to upgrade to a 2.25 or 2.5 inch exhaust system. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I <font color=red>REALLY</font color=red> believe myself when I say things like "I'm not going to anything else to the Jimmy." [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 06:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: miscellaneous ramblings...

Evan-

I couldn't agree with you more. A nice rumble is one thing. Being obnoxious and thinking (this is a generality), that louder=faster is BS. The guys who have the power, generally like to conceal it. They like the car to sound nice, but not to attract too much attention. I have a 3 chamber flomaster on mine, single 3" pipe. It sounds nice, not too loud. The only thing stock on the motor are the rods, pistons, and the block. Everything else has been modified one way or the other. It doesn't hold a candle to a Mustang or a Z28, but when against a Ford. I just let him think what they like, until I fly by. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Rhino

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode