x-over steering alternative? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 05:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

x-over steering alternative?

I am contemplating a x-over steering conversion. Instead of running a drag link from the 2wd steering box to the passenger side knuckle, can't you instead run the drag link from the steering box to the front steering arm(not sure of terminology-bar that connects both front wheels). It seems it would be much easier to run a link from the box to the front steering arm rather than going all the way over to the passenger knuckle, not to mention the machining involved. I realize I would still need a 2wd box, but I am curious to know if I can swap the (sector?)shafts from the 2wd box to the 4wd box. Reason being, you can't rotate the pitman arm on the 4wd shaft, whereas you can on the 2wd shaft. If anyone can assist me in this it would be greatly appreciated. P.S.-truck is an 86 CHEVY 1/2 ton 4wd-4"-5" lift. Custom spring packs will be built depending on the outcome of the above question.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 05:44 PM

Re: x-over steering alternative?

The problem with running the drag link to the tie rod would be the fact that the drag link would not even be close to parallel with the tie rod, especially on a lifted truck. This would probably cause a really nasty case of bump steer, which is one of the things that the crossover steering is supposed to fix. I don't really think that this would be a good option. And yes, I believe the sector shafts can be swapped from the 2wd to the 4wd boxes, but it's easier just to get the whole box, since they're practically a dime a dozen.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 09:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've done a little homework on this subject and have noticed that bumpersteer is caused in my situation by a short drag link which in effect bottoms out in both directions when the suspension articulates. Once the link bottoms any further movement will result in "alternative steering". I have seen the the draglink to tie rod set-up in many magazines and many of the vehicles had far less than parallel drag links. Isn't the fact that the drag links length is increased the main reason bumpsteer is reduced. In other words, Short drag link = bumpersteer & long drag links allow movement thus allowing suspension articulation and loss of bumpsteer?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 04:20 PM

See if this helps http://coloradok5.com/crossoversteering.shtml
Good luck! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 06:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What you are describing doesn't sound like bumpsteer, it sounds like loss of steering as a result of axle articulation during wheeling. Bumpsteer is the problem I just recently had and fixed. When driving down the road at 20+mph, your truck hits a small bump, this causes the steering wheel to rip out of your hands and turn clockwise 1/4 to 1/2 turn, then snap back. This is bumpsteer. Your suspension is only deflecting 1/4 to 1/2 inch. It shouldn't be articulating more than that on a paved road. As the spring compresses the steering wheel goes to the right, as it decompresses it goes to the left, as a factor of the geometry of the steering box, draglink length, angle and steering arm height.

Off road, with a loss of steering, yes, draglink length is a factor - hence x-over steering - longer draglink so to speak. On a truck with less than 6 inches of lift this and bumpsteer should not be an issue. If they are, there is another problem.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 06:44 PM

I think maybe you need to describe your symptoms in a little more detail. Are you losing steering during articutlation or are you experiencing true bumpsteer (described very well by diesel) while driving on the streets?

I have seen trucks in magazines with 44s on 10 bolts, it doesn't make that OK. Most trucks that have a stock steering setup like the one you wish to convert to also have steering correction solutions for when you lift them. That doesn't neccessarily mean that people use the correction items. Any truck with a draglink at that much of an angle probably has a bad case of bumpsteer too. Another thing is that someone who uses their vehicle only on slow trails doesn't need to worry about bumpsteer, it's only an issue for trucks driven on the streets.

Oh yeah, Contagious is my club's name. I'm Evan, and my nick on this BBS is Shaggy. Just FYI.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>- Contagious Off-Road -</font color=red>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode