TNN's Trucks! and that IFS Chevy with 44's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

TNN\'s Trucks! and that IFS Chevy with 44\'s

Did anyone see the episode that was on today? I know it was on a while back too. They had this extended cab pickup that had, get this:
1) 44" Super Swamper Boggers on an IFS truck
2) 6" IFS Procomp lift
3) Torsion bars cranked 3"
4) 6" brass body lift with the rubber factory body mounts sitting on top of the brass pieces
5) the stock 1/2 ton IFS
5) that rear sure looked like a 10 bolt
6) a 350 "with the usual go fast parts" to motorvate it
7) oh yeah, and they claimed it was not just a show truck, that it actually got 'wheeled.

I would not even ride in this thing. I'd be to afraid first time he hit the brakes the body would slide off the frame. This thing reminded me of all the stupid stuff the kids at home did to get more lift when we were in HS. I was expecting to see hockey pucks under there.
Okay, let's see here, those tires are going to eat those diffs alive. Those axles are just not capable of taking that abuse unless it never ever gets put in 4x4 and only is driven on and off of the trailer (big trailer). I also know that there isn't a gear ratio higher than 4.56 for the IFS, so that means if he did change the ratio, he had 44" tires and 4.56 gears. Would you want to drive that? Those torsion bars cranked all the way is going to just bus those CV-joints. Course, the bad ride would be soaked up by those Boggers, not that the ride wouldn't be horrible anyways. That body lift is totally unsafe. Like I said, I wouldn't ride in it for money. To me "the usual go fast parts" means all the bolt on stuff. That's all my truck has so far, but then, it only has a 3" suspension lift and 33" tall tires. That truck has to be a dog. Oh yeah, and the last thing, the Bogger's tread looked absolutely pristine. Not a hint of discoloration or wear other than on the tops of the tread from being rolled into their studio.
That thing was so pathetic. That show just went down in my mind. They thought it was totally cool. I know that it's not like they could say how ****ty it was, but damn, go find the guy who's Z71 with the 44" boggers and had a D60 front and 14FF was on the cover of Four Wheeler a few months back. Now that is a peice of work worthy of TV coverage. It was just pathetic. I knew immediately I had to go post about it. Just disgusting. I'd take that truck on in a 4x4ing contest any day. Yeah, it may have 11" bigger tires than mine, way more ground clearance, probably a slightly more powerful 350, and all kinds of gadgets, but I know it'd bust both driveshafts and probably both axles within 10 feet of putting it in 4lo. If I never made it over the first obstacle I'd still win. I made it to the obstacle.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 06:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: TNN\'s Trucks! and that IFS Chevy with 44\'s

i know what your saying. i didn't watch that show but i have seen others. the two guys on it are so dumb. i think they are gay.don't you? i would really like to know how much work mel and stace really do on the show. probably not much.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 10:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I saw the show an was actually coming here to make a post about it. I addition to all the things you said how about when they said it was no trailer queen and it felt right at home in a mud pit, then they pan to the bed and shot the perfectly clean carpet lining the box, and spotless leather interior. Also it did look like a 10 bolt and I don't think that 1/2ton ifs would last 5 seconds in a bog trying to turn 44's. And the 6" brass bodylift and cv anlges cracked me up too. The truck diffently looked good but I don't think it see's much action at all. Like they say All show and no go!!

Nick
[email protected]
83' s10 extended cab 4x4 supercharged 2.8l v6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 10:56 PM
Mud in my Veins

Word. My brother and I saw that and both agreed that it never has and never will see mud, they run over the crap that falls off my truck onto the pavement after i leave the pit. 6" body lift? that's insane. i hate those guys that think having a 4x4 makes their balls bigger...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 11:00 PM

The people on those shows on speedvision and TNN are dumb. I watch some muscelcar show sometimes ad one with a guy with a big goofy mustache. Am I the only one that notices their hands? they move them everytime thay say something and its really funny looking. All of their projects are too easy. Nothing ever goes wrong. How real is that?!

90K5
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2000, 11:10 PM

i thought that the twinkies(mel and stace is it?) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] said it was a 30" torsion bar lift? and i did think the 6" body lift was pretty outrageous too. the truck looked awesome from that camera angle, but, i don't know how it rolls. i don't think it plays in the mud like they said it does.

Shorts
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thought they said 30" too. I liked at the end when the little guy fell out trying to get in it.

Brian
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

I like the show, occasionally gives me ideas, but I too wonder if either of these guys knew anything about 4x4's, or even cars for that matter, before they got cast for the show. Of course, I see the show like once every two months or so. On the few Sunday mornings I'm not working I'm usually zonked out until it's actually Sunday afternoon.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 01:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did anyone notice the front boggers barely cleared the bumper? He would smash the bumper the first time he hit a speedbump in the parking lot.
6" body lift? I don't like 3" body lifts because they are at the edge of safety (for me.) Stack two frames if you want that much body lift.
The twenty-something shocks and ten-bolt axle are proof positive this is a trailer queen. Oh, and a small block for those tires?
Loser.
Just my opinion.
Mike

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2000, 02:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like that show for entertainment, and entertainment only. It is very rare that you ever see anything of real world use, but it seems that each vehicle they "build" is show worthy. The "Project Willy's" seems like a cool idea, but they skimped on drivetrain and motor, but spend like ten episodes on covering the weld seams on the new rocker panels. If I were building a four wheeler from the frame up, I wouldn't skip a step in the drivetrain and would probably use an attractive coat of primer to cover the weld seams. I guess real four wheelers just see some things from a different perspective, a practical perspective.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode